Skip Navigation
Michigan Business, official portal for the State of Michigan Home
  • One Stop Home
  • Contact Us
  • Site Map
  • close print view

    Tattoo Parlor

    Required State License(s): Public Act 375 passed December 22, 2010 requires a yearly Body Art Facility License issued by the Michigan Department of Community Health to perform body modifications of tattooing, branding and piercing.  Public Act 375 does exempt the practice of ear piercing from licensure. Permanent Cosmetic Makeup also requires a State of Michigan Body Art Facility License.

    Information on the application process and the requirements needed to assure compliance to PA 375 can be obtained by visiting the Michigan Department of Community Health Body Art Facility Program at or contacting the Body Art Facility Licensing Program Coordinator, Michael Kucab at 517-335-8165.

     Other Licenses: Some cities/townships (county health department) do regulate this type of business. Contact the local city/township clerk's office for any ordinance or permit that regulates this type of business.

    Public Health Code, Act 368 of 1978, Section 333.1302 states: (1) An individual shall not tattoo, brand, or perform body-piercing on a minor unless the individual obtains the prior written informed consent of the minor's parents or legal guardian. (2) An individual shall not tattoo, brand, or perform body-piercing on another individual if the other individual is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or a controlled substance. For purposes of this section, "minor" does not include a minor who is emancipated pursuant to Section 4 of Act No. 293 of the Public Acts of 1968, being Section 722.4 of the Michigan Compiled Laws. Section 333.1303 states: (1) A person who violates Section 13102 is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or a fine of not more than $500, or both, for each violation. (2) Violation of Section 13102 is liable in a civil action for actual damages or $1,000, whichever is greater, plus reasonable court costs and attorney fees.

    Tattoo parlors and body piercing must register and meet requirements under the Medical Waste Regulatory Act (MWRA) if producing sharps or any other medical waste as defined by the MWRA. Contact Andrew Shannon at 517-335-1146 , Waste and Hazardous Materials Division, at 517.241.1320 or email for an application and more information. Medical waste program information is also at

    Creation/Revision Date:

    August 13, 2012

    Related Content
     •  Temporarily Unavailable
     •  Stockbroker
     •  Solicitor of Students
     •  Treasury SUW Phase I - Testing
     •  Trust Bank
     •  Train (Railroad Cars) License
     •  Temporary Authorization
     •  Transferable on Premises Resort License
     •  Taxidermist
     •  Tavern License
     •  Temporary Field Permit
     •  Temporary Campground License
     •  Tall Structure Permit
     •  Third Party Administrator Certificate of Authority
     •  Tax Filing
     •  Tobacco Tax
     •  Tax Registration
     •  Teacher - Education
     •  Television Station
     •  Telemarketing
    QR code Home
  • State Web Sites
  • Site Map

  • Privacy Policy
  • Link Policy
  • Accessibility Policy
  • Security Policy
  • Michigan Survey

    Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan