Identity Confirmation Help
The online quiz will be unavailable from December 8, 2016 to January 20, 2017 for year end maintenance. Please submit the paperwork listed in the letter you received to: Michigan Department of Treasury, Discovery and Tax Enforcement Division, P.O. Box 30771, Lansing, MI 48909
- Locate the letter you received and the Michigan tax return you just filed
- You need four of the following pieces of information to take the quiz.
- Quiz ID (view example #1)
- Located at the top right hand portion of the letter you received
- (You can click here for a picture)
- Refund or Tax Due (view example #2)
- Line 35 is “REFUND” on your Michigan Tax Return
- Line 32 is “YOU OWE” or the Tax Due
- If you do not have “REFUND” (view example #3) or “YOU OWE” amounts, locate your Property Tax Credit tax form
- Line 44 “PROPERTY TAX CREDIT” is the amount you need to enter if you did not file the MI-1040 and only filed for a credit
- Last name that is listed on the letter you received
- Last 4 digits of the social security number (SSN) used to file the return
- First SSN or Primary located on Line 2 of your Michigan tax return
Watch the Identity Protection video tutorial:
You are ready to take the quiz! Remember, the questions are associated with the first person listed on the return. Please come back and take a short survey to help us improve our processes.
The Identity Theft quiz is currently unavailable while we prepare for the 2016 tax season. The quiz will be available again in January 2017.