Skip Navigation
Michigan, Official Portal for the State of Michigan Home
close print view
  Individual Income Tax
I am a resident of another state and I worked in Michigan last year. Am I required to file a Michigan income tax return (MI-1040)?

You must file a Michigan income tax return and pay Michigan income tax on salary, wages and other employee compensation for work performed in Michigan.

If you are a resident of another state, you must file an MI-1040, Schedule NR, Schedule 1 and Schedule W. Additional forms may also be required for your return. Out-of-state students attending a Michigan college or university are considered nonresidents.

If you are a resident of Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Minnesota, Ohio or Wisconsin view the question:

Am I required to file a Michigan income tax return (MI-1040) if I am a resident of a reciprocal state and worked in Michigan?

Michigan Business One Stop
Link to Department and Agencies Web Site Index
Link to Statewide Online Services Index
Link to Statewide Web-based Surveys
Link to RSS feeds available on this site
FAQ Categories
 •  Index of Tax FAQ's
 •  Individual Income Tax
 •  Business Taxes
 •  1099-MISC Filing Requirements
 •  Collections/Delinquent Accounts
 •  Tax Increment Financing
 •  Service Fee/PILOT Housing
 •  State Real Estate Transfer Tax
 •  Native American
 •  Michigan Business Tax
 •  Status of Individual Refund
 •  Health Insurance Claims Assessment (HICA) Act
 •  Energy Home Improvement Credit
 •  Corporate Income Tax
QR code Home
PoliciesMichigan Survey

Copyright © 2014 State of Michigan