City Income Tax E-FIle FAQs
1. Can I file my City of Detroit Individual Income tax return separately from my federal and state return?

You can e-file a City of Detroit Income Tax Return separately from your federal or state return when supported by the software.

2. How do I sign my e-file return?

If you are e-filing your City of Detroit return with your federal and state return, Michigan accepts the federal signature.

If you are e-filing your City of Detroit return separately from your federal or state return, the Electronic Signature Alternative (ESA) or paper Form MI-8453, Michigan Individual Income Tax Declaration for e-file, must be used to sign your return.

You may choose to sign your return electronically using the ESA if you filed an MI-1040, MI-1040CR, MI-1040CR-2, or MI-104CR-7 for the previous tax year and it is supported by your software. The ESA is composed of the following “shared secrets” from the following:

The shared secrets can be from your return as originally filed, an amended return, or the return as corrected by Treasury. If you choose to complete Form MI-8453, a copy should be retained for six years. Do not mail Form MI-8453 to Treasury.

  • Social Security Number(s)
  • Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) or total household resources from the previous year’s return; and
  • Tax due or refund amount from the previous year’s return.
3. I made an error on my electronically filed City of Detroit Individual Income tax return. Can I electronically file another return?

If you made an error on an electronically filed return for the tax year 2015 or later, you must file a paper amended income tax return. File the same form you originally filed with the amended box checked in the upper right corner and submit by mail. Amended returns received using the incorrect form or missing pages will not be processed.

4. How much does it cost to e-file?

The IRS and Michigan Department of Treasury do not charge for e-file. The cost varies depending on the tax preparer, software package, or online provider you select for e-file. You may be able to e-file for free. To see if you qualify, visit www.MIfastfile.org to find out more about free e-file offerings.

5. What should I do when I owe tax and want to e-file my income tax return?

When you e-file and owe tax, your payment is due April 18, 2016. To avoid penalty and interest, payment of taxes due should be made no later than April 18.

Submit your payment with form 5122 City Individual Income Tax E-file Payment Voucher (City-V). Your tax preparer or computer software will provide a copy of the form. You can e-file your return at any time during the e-file processing season; however, the City-V must be included when payment is submitted. Do not include a copy of your return with your payment