Am I still required to file a Michigan return if I was overseas for the entire year?

Yes, Michigan residents are required to file a Michigan return, regardless of where the income is earned. However, military pay is exempt from Michigan tax.  You should file an MI-1040, Schedule 1 and Schedule W and subtract military pay, to the extent it is included in federal adjusted gross income (AGI).