If I moved into or out of Michigan during the year, can I claim a homestead property tax credit?
You may be eligible to claim a homestead property tax credit if all of the following apply:
- Your homestead is in Michigan
- You were a resident of Michigan for at least six months during the year
- You own or are contracted to pay rent and occupy a Michigan homestead on which property taxes were levied
- If you own your home, your taxable value is $135,000 or less
- Your total household resources are $50,000 or less. Part-year residents must annualize total household resources to determine if the credit reduction applies.
(If 100% of your total household resources are received from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, you do not qualify)