What common mistakes should I avoid when completing my home heating credit claim?
Mistakes will delay your credit payment or may result in your credit being denied.
Some common errors are:
- Filing after the deadline of September 30th
- Using a name and address label with incorrect information
- Illegible writing
- Incorrect or missing social security number(s) for eligible dependents
- Incorrect or missing age for eligible dependents (if child is less than one year old, enter 1 for age)
- Incorrect Social Security number(s)
- Failure to mark box 7 if your heating costs are currently included in your rent
- Entering figures on the wrong lines or not entering figures on required lines
- Mistakes in computing your credit (addition, subtraction, etc.)
- Entering incorrect heat amount
- Failure to report total household resources from all sources or entering monthly amount instead of annual amount