Welcome to the Talent Investment Agency (TIA)
TIA is the agency that combines Michigan Unemployment Insurance and Workforce Development, and is responsible for their activities. Businesses need a talented workforce. Workers need the right skills to compete for available jobs. TIA programs are focused on job preparedness, career-based education, worker training, employment assistance and unemployment insurance.
TIA and MDOC Partner to Launch Veteran's Re-Employment Workshops at Saginaw Correctional Facility
TIA partnered with the Michigan Department of Corrections (MDOC) to launch the first-of-its-kind in Michigan, veteran’s in-reach training program at the Saginaw Correctional Facility in Freeland, MI. This is a dedicated unit designed to meet the unique needs of incarcerated military veterans and address common issues they may face, like Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
TIA conducts Re-Employment Workshops, comprised of three two-hour sessions, designed to educate participants on how to maximize their access to services within the state workforce system while developing a veteran-specific employment plan with a focus on transferrable skills, creating a resume and how to handle difficult interview questions.
On January 31, 2018, the Talent Investment Agency completed its first Veterans’ Reemployment Workshop at the Saginaw Correctional Facility. A second workshop, requested by the Michigan Department of Corrections (MDOC), quickly followed and was completed on March 7, 2018. TIA staff who conducted these workshops include: Steve Gillotte, Scott Hamel, Deborah Hardeman, David Jackson, and Joseph Swyrtek.
For the investment of six hours for each staff member present, there is the potential to save the State of Michigan taxpayers approximately $34,982 per participant who does not return to incarceration each year, post-release. The next workshop is scheduled to occur in May 2018.
Request a TIA Speaker
The Talent Investment Agency supports business growth and a diverse skilled workforce through strategic partnerships by ensuring that citizens are well-informed of the impact of our programs and services. To facilitate that mission, our Communications Office provides face-to-face interaction with organizations that want to learn more about the programs and services of this agency.
Speakers Available for:
Workshops | Staff Trainings | Events
Special Engagements | Program Information
- Two Guilty of Identity Theft
Florida residents caught after stealing unemployment benefits
- ID Theft Tips Issued to Protect Public & Businesses
Complaints dropping due to enhanced protection efforts
- Rey Guzman Chosen as Michigan Works! Impact Award Winner
Jobs in Michigan
- Pure Michigan Talent Connect
Pure Michigan Talent Connect is your launch pad for new jobs, careers and talent. It is an online marketplace connecting Michigan's job seekers and employers, and serves as a central hub linking all public and private stakeholders who support Michigan's workforce. Pure Michigan Talent Connect serves as the state's labor exchange system.
- Workforce Development Agency The Workforce Development Agency (WDA) promotes a flexible, innovative, and effective workforce system within the State of Michigan. To accomplish this, the WDA supports a demand driven workforce system, assists the structurally unemployed with financial independence, advocates for the integration of workforce development into the K-12 school system, and supports the alignment of workforce development with economic development efforts.
- Unemployment Insurance Agency UIA The Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) operates Michigan's unemployment insurance program which collects unemployment taxes from employers and provides temporary income for workers who are unemployed through no fault of their own. UIA offers online services to customers through the Michigan Web Account Manager (MiWAM).