Michigan Recognition of Out-of-State Licenses

Michigan's concealed weapons law expressly recognizes concealed pistol licenses issued by another state to one of its residents. MCL 28.432a(h). Non-residents carrying a concealed pistol in Michigan are subject to the laws of this state, including those regarding restrictions where pistols may be carried, implied consent to a chemical analysis for alcohol or controlled substances, disclosure to a peace officer when stopped, and carrying while under the influence. A non-resident should become acquainted with Michigan’s firearms laws before carrying a concealed pistol in this state.

Michigan Licensees: Carrying in Another State

Similarly, a Michigan concealed pistol licensee who wishes to carry a concealed pistol in another state is responsible for complying with the laws of that state. In an effort to identify which states recognize Michigan issued concealed pistol licenses, each state was contacted by the Attorney General.

Because state laws can change frequently, a person should check each state's CPL law before traveling to or through them.

States that recognize Michigan issued permits are: 

States that recognize Michigan permits

Those states who do not recognize non-resident permits are:

States that do not recognize non-resident permits

Some states allow for the application for a temporary CCW permit issued by that state or local unit of government. Others exempt law enforcement officers.

Federal law expressly provides that persons may carry a firearm in their vehicles while traveling through another state provided that the possession of the weapon is legal in both the states of origin and destination and the weapon is unloaded and carried in the trunk of the vehicle or a locked container other than the glove box. See 18 U.S.C.926a