What is crime victim compensation?

    • Crime victim compensation may pay some of the costs incurred as the result of a person being injured or killed during a crime. 
    • Crime victim compensation does not pay for stolen or damaged property.
    • Crime victim compensation does not reimburse costs paid by medical insurance, auto insurance, homeowner's insurance, Medicaid, Medicare, worker's compensation, veteran's benefits, social security benefits, or any other source.

Do I qualify for crime victim compensation?

  • The law requires that:

    • You must have suffered a physical injury due to a crime, or you incurred funeral expenses
    • With only a few specified exceptions, the crime must have been reported to law enforcement within 48 hours.
    • You must cooperate with the law enforcement investigation
    • Generally, you must have lost a minimum of $200 in out-of-pocket expenses, or lost at least 2 continuous weeks or earnings or support
    • A claim must be filed within one year of the crime. There are some very limited exceptions to this deadline.

    Contact the Crime Victim Services Commission for questions or more information. 

    Crime Victim Services Commission
    Grand Tower, Ste 113
    235 S. Grand Ave.
    P.O. Box 30037
    Lansing, MI 48909
    877-251-7373 (victims only)
    Fax: 517-373-2439

    Victim compensation application and checklist

Financial Assistance

  • Up to $25,000 total in eligible costs, including:

    • Up to $350 for each week of lost earnings or support
    • Out-of-pocket costs, such as medical services required by the victim's injury
    • Funeral expenses, up to $5,000
    • Grief counseling for certain family members, up to $500
    • Up to $500 for crime scene clean-up if the crime occurred in the victim's home or the home of certain family members
    • Up to 35 hours of psychological counseling