Skip to main content

What do I do if I disagree with a family court's custody determination?

The family court is solely responsible for the custody arrangements for children under its jurisdiction.  The family court makes its decision based on all the facts that are presented to it and must determine what is in the best interest of the children.  The law gives the final decision to the court. 

The Attorney General has no statutory or supervisory authority over the court and cannot, by law, oversee the performance of the court in exercising its duties. 

You may wish to consult an attorney on the appropriateness of such an appeal.  You may contact the State Bar Lawyer Referral Services at its toll free number 800-968-0738, should you desire to make a change in your attorney or need assistance in obtaining legal counsel.