Skip to main content

Right to Terminate Auto Leases

The SCRA also gives you the right to terminate your automobile lease. If you are going on active duty for at least 180 days, you may request termination of an automobile lease that you entered into before going on active duty.  The SCRA covers the lease of a motor vehicle used, or intended to be used, by you or your dependents for personal or business transportation. 

Your request to terminate must be in writing and must include a copy of your orders.  After providing your termination, you have 15 days to return the vehicle to your lessor. Although the lessor may not charge you an early termination fee, you may be charged for excess wear, use, and mileage. 50 USC App 3955.

Like the SCRA, Michigan's Military Personnel Motor Vehicle Leasing Act, MCL 445.1011, et seq., permits a service member who is deployed on active duty for a period of 180 days or more, or the spouse of that service member, to terminate any motor vehicle lease. Unlike the SCRA, the Military Personnel Motor Vehicle Leasing Act extends the ability to terminate a lease to servicemembers who are on state active military duty by Order of the Governor.