• Where Can I Find Information About My Water Quality?


  • an older woman in a green sweater with a smartphone in handTo learn more about your drinking water quality, contact:

    • Your public water supplier for their Annual Water Quality Report also known as a Consumer Confidence Report (CCR).
    • Your local health department if you have a private residential well.

    What’s a Consumer Confidence Report?

    A Consumer Confidence Report (CCR), which can be called an annual water quality report or a drinking water quality report, provides information on your local drinking water quality. Every community water supplier must provide an annual report by July 1 of each year to its customers, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Consumer Confidence Report Rule. 

    The Consumer Confidence Report (CCR) Rule requires community water supplies to annually report to their customers on the quality of the drinking water and the sources of that water, and to characterize the risks (if any) from exposure to contaminants detected in the water.

    Where can I find my local Consumer Confidence Report?

    Contact your local water supplier and request a copy if you didn’t receive one. 

Where Can I Find Information About Private Residential Wells?

Where Can I Find Information About Private Residential Wells?

Some Michigan residents receive their water from private residential wells. EPA regulations that protect public drinking water systems do not apply to privately owned wells. As a result, owners of private wells are responsible for ensuring that their water is safe from contaminants.

For information on water quality and well construction, please review the fact sheets below. Contact your local health department for additional information.

Water Quality

Well Construction

The following websites are recommended for obtaining fact sheets on various water well and groundwater topics.

Back to Water Basics