Skip to main content



Panel Content
  • Isolation: When a person who is sick, is asked to stay home and limit interactions with others, even people they live with. This includes anyone who:

    - Tests positive and has symptoms.

    - Tests positive, but has no symptoms.

    - Has symptoms, but has not been tested.

    The local health department may call and require a person to isolate.

    Quarantine: When a person who is not sick is told to stay home because they have been exposed to someone who is sick.

    - If a person develops symptoms of COVID-19 during quarantine they should isolate and get tested.

  • Stay in contact with the health department. They can help you figure out when to end isolation. Continue in isolation until:

    a. It has been 10 days since your positive test result or 10 days since you began showing symptoms and

    b. You have been fever free for 24 hours without taking fever-reducing medication and

    c. Other symptoms have improved, like cough or shortness of breath

    More information


    We know isolating at home may be difficult. If you need assistance with things like food, shelter and healthcare, we want to get you the help you need.

    - I need help finding community-based support and resources: Michigan 2-1-1 is available online or via telephone  to help refer you to resources in your local community, like housing and financial assistance, including COVID-specific resources like meal delivery. Visit or call 2-1-1 for immediate assistance.

    - I need healthcare coverage, food assistance, child care support,  or emergency financial support: Visit MI Bridges to apply for state benefits. In addition to benefits programs, MI Bridges also features more than 30,000 state and local services to help meet your needs.

    - I need to find mental health support resources: Call 1-888-535-6136 and press "8" to talk to a Michigan Stay Well counselor. Or text “RESTORE” to 741741 to start a text conversation with a trained crisis counselor. Counseling is free, confidential and available 24/7. Visit for more resources.

    - I need to apply for unemployment benefits: If you can’t work while you are in quarantine or isolation, you may be eligible for unemployment assistance. Apply for unemployment assistance through the Michigan Unemployment Insurance Agency.

    - I need to find business assistance resources: Get the latest updates of COVID-19 resources for employees and employers from the MI Safe Start webpage.

    - I am a senior and need assistance: The Area Agencies on Aging (AAA) offer services in every region so older adults can remain in their homes They offer services like meal delivery, home health care, counseling, and case management.

    - I need help finding a Community Action Agency near me for community resources: The Network of Michigan Community Action Agencies (CAA) is a group of 28 agencies across Michigan that provide support in connecting low-income residents with resources in their community, such as food assistance, utility and rental assistance, employment counseling, and more. CAA’s have set up special COVID-19 support programs, including meal delivery, and boxes with hygiene and cleaning supplies.

    - I need help finding a healthcare provider. Visit your local Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) which you can find at

    - I need to know more about energy assistance and shutoff protections: Learn more about energy assistance and shut-off protections from the Michigan Public Service Commission.


  • Individuals who have been instructed to quarantine by the health department or a medical provider have the right to stay home from work to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Under federal legislation, most employees have the right to paid sick leave or unemployment assistance if they are told to quarantine by public health ?officials or a medical provider. Assistance is also available for those who cannot work because they are caring for someone who has been instructed to quarantine. There are several programs and protections listed below that you may be eligible for, depending on your circumstances: 


    - I need to apply for unemployment benefits: If you can’t work while you are in quarantine or isolation, you may be eligible for unemployment assistance. Apply for unemployment assistance through the Michigan Unemployment Insurance Agency.

    - I need to take medical leave from my job: If you’ve had close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19, you’ve had close contact with someone who has symptoms of COVID-19, or you have one or more of the most common symptoms of COVID-19, you may be eligible for paid and/or unpaid medical leave with protection from losing your job or being disciplined under the Michigan Paid Medical Leave Act.

    - I need to take a leave of absence from work: If you’re unable to work because you or someone you’re caring for is required to quarantine or isolate because of COVID-19, has been advised by a healthcare worker to self-quarantine because of concerns related to COVID-19, or has symptoms of COVID-19 and is seeking a medical diagnosis, you may be eligible for paid sick leave under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act Paid Sick Leave Program.

    Employment and COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions


    Additional details and programs can be found here: Benefits for Workers.