Skip to main content

What can I do if I believe my employer is not taking the proper precautions to protect employees from COVID-19 exposure?

?In general, Michigan law requires employers to provide every employee with “a place of employment that is free from recognized hazards that are causing, or are likely to cause, death or serious physical harm to the employee.” This includes providing employees with the necessary “personal protective equipment” (known as “PPE”) to protect them from the hazards they may be exposed to in the workplace. The Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration (MIOSHA) enforces workplace safety and health rules in the State of Michigan. 

  • If you are a Critical Infrastructure Worker and you believe your employer is failing to take the proper precautions in the workplace to protect employees from exposure to COVID-19, you can learn how to file a complaint with MIOSHA. You can also contact MIOSHA via the Ask MIOSHA link on the MIOSHA website, or call 800-866-4674 to ask COVID-19 questions or discuss your complaint (if you decide to file a safety or health complaint, online complaints are preferred; complaints are generally not accepted via telephone, unless it is an emergency). You may request that your name be kept confidential from the employer when you file a complaint. Michigan law separately prohibits your employer from firing you, or otherwise discriminating against you, for filing a complaint with MIOSHA. The agency will not pursue an anonymous complaint. 
  • If you are not considered a Critical Infrastructure Worker and you believe your workplace should be closed to the public, please contact your local law enforcement agency – but do NOT call 911.