Telephone Calls with Prisoners - The Complete Guide
NOTICE TO PRISONERS, FAMILY MEMBERS AND FRIENDS
WARNING: Regarding Telephone Service Providers
The Michigan Department of Corrections' vendor for prisoner telephone service is Global Tel*Link Corporation (GTL). Please be aware that there are telephone service providers who claim to be able to save customers money for inmate calls. One such company uses the acronym "PCS" (Prison Call Solutions). Some of the websites for these telephone service providers advertise that they can "service all Global Tel*Link Corporation and PCS customers."
Please note a previous statement from the Department's vendor Public Communications Services, regarding these providers:
"There have been reports of vendors contacting inmate family and friends and claiming they can reduce your cost for inmate telephone calls. These vendors are in no way affiliated with the Department of Corrections or the inmate telephone services provider, Public Communications Services, Inc. Furthermore, these vendors cannot bind Public Communications Services to any obligation, and may cause you to incur more costs through various subscriptions and commitments. Public Communications Services does not receive, and is not responsible, for any payments you make to these vendors, and will not reimburse you for any such payments."
Telephone Calls with Prisoners
Prisoner Telephone System -
The current vendor for prisoner telephone services is Global Tel*Link Corporation (GTL). As part of GTL telephone services, prisoners can call 20 personal telephone numbers, which becomes his/her Personal Allowed Numbers (PAN) list. PAN's will automatically reset each quarter (1/1, 4/1, 7/1, 10/1), which allows each prisoner an opportunity to update his/her calling list. Prisoners can make telephone calls using the following options:
COLLECT: Prisoners can call certain approved numbers and the call charges will appear on the called party's monthly phone bill. Collect calls cannot be made to cell phones, office phones, hospital phones, or other commercial phone numbers.
Some local phone providers establish a maximum dollar amount limit for collect calls. You will need to contact your local provider to determine this amount.
PREPAID COLLECT: GTL's prepaid collect option is AdvancePay®. This option allows friends and family members to set up a calling account to their personal phone number(s). Every time a prisoner calls one of these numbers, the charges will be deducted from the called party's account. Please visit https://web.connectnetwork.com/ or call 855-466-2832 to set up an AdvancePay® account today.
DEBIT: Debit calling puts prisoners in control of their personal phone account. Prisoners can purchase debit minutes through the institutional disbursement process, which they can then use to call friends and family members.
For any questions regarding these calling options, please call GTL at 855-466-2832.
PCS - Prisoner Telephone Rates Prisoner telephone rates are $0.16 per minute (no additional taxes or fees with the exception of fees or taxes levied by Federal, State or local entities).
Setting Up an Account
To sign up for a Prepaid Calling Account, you can call GTL at 855-466-2832 or you can visit their website at https://web.connectnetwork.com/.
Here is some additional information regarding the setup and funding of Prepaid Accounts:
- Customers receiving calls from MDOC prisons may fund up to three prepaid accounts (phone number to be called) with a single transaction and single fee charge when processed through a customer service agent. Please contact GTL at 855-466-2832 if you are interested in funding more than one prepaid account with a single transaction.
- There is no minimum deposit for transactions done via the web, IVR or over the phone.
- There is no fee to close an account.
You may also fund an account at no charge via a cashier's check or money order. There is a $25 minimum payment amount for funding by mail. Payments should be sent to:
AdvancePay Service Department
P.O. Box 911722
Denver, CO 80291-1722
Please include your name, the name of the correctional facility where the prisoner is incarcerated and your phone number. Note that it may take up to five (5) business days from when PCS receives payment for the funds to be added to the Prepaid Account.
Blocking Prisoner Calls
There are multiple ways to block calls from prisoners as needed.
- Any incoming call can be refused at any time by either hanging up or pressing "1" when prompted. The call will be disconnected and the prisoner will be informed their call was not accepted.
- Any incoming call from a correctional facility can be blocked permanently by pressing "6" when prompted. You will be asked to provide a 4 digit personal identification number (PIN) to confirm the block. This PIN will be required to remove the block in the future if needed.
- You can also call the GTL customer service department at 855-466-2832 or visit https://web.connectnetwork.com/help/
If you are receiving unwanted correspondence or telephone calls from a prisoner, you should contact the Warden at the facility where the prisoner is currently being housed. A written correspondence and/or telephone restriction may be placed on the prisoner after a fair and impartial review of your request. We will make every effort to restrict contact from the prisoner after your request is approved.
If you are being threatened by a Michigan prisoner, you should contact the Warden at the facility where the prisoner is currently being housed. Our office will also forward your e-mail concerns to the Parole Board, Crime Victims Notification, and the Warden.
Removing a Block
You can remove a block on your telephone number by calling the GTL customer service department at 855-466-2832.
Please note there are other reasons why your phone number may be blocked from receiving collect calls from correctional facilities. These include:
- Your local telephone company does not offer billing on collect calls
- You have reached the maximum dollar amount limit allowed for collect calls
- You are trying to receive collect calls on a cell phone or work phone
Funding Prepaid Accounts via Lobby Kiosk
GTL has installed kiosks in the lobby at several MDOC correctional facilities. Any GTL prepaid phone account for a Michigan Department of Corrections customer may be funded via these kiosks. Funding is not limited to accounts that receive calls from these facilities.
Kiosks are installed at the following locations:
- Bellamy Creek Correctional Facility (IBC)
- Carson City Correctional Facility (DRF)
- Central Michigan Correctional Facility (STF)
- Cooper Street Correctional Facility (JCS)
- Detroit Re-Entry Center (PRF)
- Earnest C. Brooks Correctional Facility (LRF)
- G. Robert Cotton Correctional Facility (JCF)
- Gus Harrison Correctional Facility (ARF)
- Kinross Correctional Facility (KCF)
- Lakeland Correctional Facility (LCF)
- Macomb Correctional Facility (MRF)
- Muskegon Correctional Facility (MCF)
- Parnall Correctional Facility (SMT)
- Richard A. Handlon Correctional Facility (MTU)
- Saginaw Correctional Facility (SRF)
- St. Louis Correctional Facility (SLF)
- Thumb Correctional Facility (TCF)
- Women's Huron Valley Correctional Facility (WHV)