Michigan Disposal Waste Treatment Plant Hazardous Waste Management Operating License InformationContact: Kimberly Tyson 517-284-6574, Joseph Rogers 517-284-6569Agency: Environmental Quality
The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ), Waste Management and Radiological Protection Division (WMRPD), hereby gives notice that the Michigan Disposal Waste Treatment Plant (MDWTP) located at 49350 North I-94 Service Drive, Belleville, Michigan submitted revisions to its hazardous waste management facility operating license application (Application) on October 31, 2017, and December 8, 2017. The Application was submitted pursuant to Part 111, Hazardous Waste Management, of the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act, 1994 PA 451, as amended. The revisions respond to the MDEQ request for additional information identified in its August 28, 2017, Completeness Notice of Deficiency. Along with the revisions, MDWTP submitted a proposal to expand its hazardous waste storage and treatment operations.
MDWTP proposes to increase hazardous waste storage and treatment capacities; conduct treatment outside of the treatment tanks; add the treatment of (D003) reactive sulfide containing waste; add management of hazardous waste containing dioxins; enlarge the boundary of the outdoor Southeast Container Storage Area (SECSA); store trailers holding drums, not immediately off-loaded upon receipt, in the SECSA; and install an additional groundwater monitoring well in the SECSA. Ms. Sylwia Scott is the contact person for MDWTP and can be reached by telephone at 734 699 6294 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The MDEQ is reviewing the Application. During our review, we will determine if the proposed activities comply with all state and federal hazardous waste facility licensing requirements; evaluate and consider potential impacts that the proposed expansion could have on the local community; and provide the public opportunities to offer input on the proposed expansion. The MDEQ invites public comment on the Application. Written comments may be provided to Ms. Tyson at the address below throughout the review process. The MDEQ has not scheduled a public hearing, after receipt of the application. However, interested persons may submit a written request for a public hearing to Ms. Tyson by January 12, 2018.
Prior to making a final determination to issue or deny a hazardous waste management facility operating license, the MDEQ will hold a public hearing regarding its tentative decision.
The Application is available, below, for review; at the Van Buren Charter Township, Clerk Office, 46425 Tyler Road, Van Buren Township, Michigan (contact Mr. Matthew Best at 734 699 8913); at the MDEQ, Southeast Michigan District Office, Warren, Michigan (contact Mr. Michael Busse at 586 753 3839; email@example.com); at the MDEQ, WMRPD, Constitution Hall, 4th floor South, 525 West Allegan Street, Lansing, Michigan (contact Ms. Tyson at 517 284 6574; firstname.lastname@example.org); and at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Land and Chemicals Division, Resource Conservation and Recovery Act Branch, Mail Code LR-8J, 77 West Jackson Boulevard, Chicago, Illinois (contact Mr. James Blough at 312 886 2967; email@example.com).
To receive future MDEQ notifications concerning MDWTP, please submit a written request for placement on the MDWTP facility mailing list to the address below. Comments or questions regarding MDWTP should be addressed to Ms. Kimberly M. Tyson, Hazardous Waste Section, WMRPD, MDEQ, P.O. Box 30241, Lansing, Michigan 48909-7741.
Additional updates will be made available on this Web page as the Application review progresses.
- Response to Notice of Deficiency - 12/8/2017
- MDWTP Disclosure Statement 2017 - 12/8/2017
- MDWTP October 2017 Pre-application Comments - 12/8/2017
- MDWTP Major Modification Assessment - 12/8/2017
- 2016 Application Forms - updated 11/1/2017
- NOD EQP 5111 MDWTP Application Forms Modified Pg2 - 12/8/2017
- Attachment A.1 General Facility Description
- Attachment A.2 Chemical and Physical Waste Analysis Plan - updated 11/1/2017 (merged Waste Analysis Plan into the Attachment)
- QAQC Plan - 11/1/2017
- Attachment A.4 Security Procedures and Equipment - updated 11/1/2017
- Attachment A.5 Inspection Schedule - updated 11/1/2017
- Attachment A.6 Preparedness and Prevention or Waiver - updated 11/1/2017
- Attachment A.7 Contingency Plan - updated 11/1/2017
- Attachment A.8 Traffic Information - updated 11/1/2017
- Attachment A.9 Location Information
- Attachment A.10 Personnel Training Program - updated 11/1/2017
- Attachment A.11 Closure Plan - updated 11/1/2017
- Attachment A.12 Closure Cost Estimate
- Attachment A.13 Topographic Map - Updated 11/1/2017
- Attachment A.14 Liability Mechanism
- Attachment A.15 Financial Assurance Instrument
- Attachment B.1 Status of Compliance with other Federal Laws
- Attachment B.2 Corrective Action Information - Updated 11/1/2017
- Hydrogeological Report (**Note - Drawings are too large to post - contact Kimberly Tyson if you need a copy of these files) -
- 2000 Southeast Container Storage Area (SECSA) Hydrogeologic Report
- 1983 Groundwater Protection - Hazardous Waste Management Area
- 1983 NTH Drawing 1
- 1983 NTH Drawing 2
- 1983 NTH Drawing 3
- 1983 NTH Drawing 4
- 1983 NTH Drawing 5
- Attachment B.4 Environmental Assessment - Updated 11/1/2017
- Attachment B.5 Environmental Monitoring Programs - Updated 11/1/2017
- Attachment B.6 Engineering Plans - Updated 11/1/2017
- Attachment B.7 Proof of Issuance of Other Permits or Licenses - updated 11/1/2017
- Attachment B.8 Capability Certification - Updated 11/1/2017
- Attachment C.1 Containers - Updated 12/8/2017
- Attachment C.2 Tanks - Updated 11/1/2017
- Attachment C.4 Treatment
- Attachment C.11 Air Emissions - Updated 11/1/2017