As part of a larger statewide effort to reduce lead exposure, DEQ is drafting proposed changes to the Lead and Copper Rule provisions of the Michigan Safe Drinking Water Act. These proposed changes are designed to reduce exposure to lead in drinking water.
Rule Promulgation Timeline
- Request for Rulemaking: March 9, 2017
- Stakeholder Process: July through November 2017
- Public Information Session: November 29, 2017
- ***Draft Rules*** and Regulatory Impact Statement to Office of Regulatory Reform: January 29, 2018
- Public Comment Period: February 8, 2018 through March 21, 2018
- Public Hearing: March 1, 2018. Lansing, Michigan.
The hearing will be held to receive public comments on proposed changes to the Supplying Water to the Public rules.
- DEQ's presentation slides for public hearing
- Video overview of Proposed Changes to the State Lead and Copper Rule (OCR) (recorded at 3/1/18 Public Hearing in Lansing, Michigan)
The proposed rule set (2017-008 EQ) will amend the current rules to provide additional provisions that reduce exposure to lead in drinking water. These include the removal of lead service lines from drinking water distribution systems and lowering the action level for lead, in addition to other protective provisions.
These rules are promulgated by authority conferred on the Director of the DEQ by Section 5 of the Safe Drinking Water Act, 1976 PA 399, as amended (Act 399), identified as R 325.10101 through R 325.12820. These rules will take immediate effect upon filing with the Secretary of State.
The rules (2017-008 EQ) are published on the Office of Regulatory Reinvention’s website. The rules are also published in the February 15, 2018, issue of the Michigan Register.
Any interested person is invited to attend and present his or her views. It is requested that all statements be submitted in writing for the hearing record. Anyone unable to attend may submit comments in writing to the following address by 5:00 p.m. on March 21, 2018. Copies of the draft rules may also be obtained by mail or electronic transmission at the following address:
Drinking Water and Municipal Assistance Division
Michigan Department of Environmental Quality
(Attention: Suzann Ruch)
P.O. Box 30817
Lansing, Michigan 48909-8311
The hearing site is accessible, including handicap parking. People with disabilities requiring additional accommodations in order to participate in the hearing (such as information in alternative formats) should contact Suzann Ruch at 517-284-6544 at least five (5) days prior to the hearing date. Individuals attending the meeting are requested to refrain from using heavily scented personal care products in order to enhance accessibility for everyone. Information at this meeting will be presented by speakers and printed handouts.
- Summary of Existing and Proposed Lead and Copper Rule Requirements
- Michigan Safe Drinking Water Act 399
- Michigan Safe Drinking Water Rules
- Rulemaking Process