What is a bona-fide nonprofit organization?
“Bona-fide nonprofit organization” under the SAFE Act Final Rule means an organization that demonstrates to the satisfaction of the applicable regulator that the organization meets all of the following:
- Has the status of a tax-exempt organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986;
- Promotes affordable housing or provides homeownership education, or similar services;
- Conducts its activities in a manner that serves public or charitable purposes, rather than commercial purposes;
- Receives funding and revenue and charges fees in a manner that does not incentivize it or its employees to act other than in the best interests of its clients;
- Compensates its employees in a manner that does not incentivize employees to act other than in the best interests of its clients; and
- Provides or identifies for the borrower residential mortgage loans with terms favorable to the borrower and comparable to mortgage loans and housing assistance provided under government housing assistance programs.