Skip to main content

Who can help if I am having a problem shopping for insurance?

If you are concerned your homeowners insurance company is not performing as required under the law or if you hear the following statements while shopping for homeowners insurance, the Department of Insurance and Financial Services (DIFS) is here to help:

  • We do not write in that area.
  • We are not taking any new customers.
  • We do not have an agent in your area.
  • We cannot write your home insurance unless you insure your auto with us.
  • You are not eligible for a policy with our company (no explanation of ineligibility is provided), but we can place you with the Michigan Basic Property Insurance Association (MBPIA).

DIFS encourages you to first attempt to resolve your complaint directly with your licensed agent or insurance company. If a resolution cannot be reached, you may file a complaint with DIFS by clicking on the link below. Your complaint will be reviewed based on the documents you submit, so please be sure to include all pertinent information.

Online Complaint Form

 Once you file a complaint, DIFS will respond to your complaint by doing the following:

  • Contacting the insurance company, insurance agency and/or licensed insurance agent to obtain a written response.
  • Confirming the insurance company and other licensees named in your complaint are performing as required under your policy and the law.
  • Helping you understand options that may be available to you.

You will receive a copy of all correspondence received during DIFS’ review of your complaint, as well as a letter explaining our findings.