The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
What are the eligibility requirements for surplus lines insurers?
Surplus lines insurers domiciled in a U.S. jurisdiction - A surplus lines licensee is permitted to place insurance with such insurers provided that:
- They are approved to write such business in their State of domicile.
- They maintain a minimum capital and surplus of $15 million or the minimum capital and surplus amount required in a State.
Surplus Lines insurers domiciled outside the U.S. jurisdiction - A surplus lines licensee is permitted to place insurance with such insurers provided that:
- The insurer is listed on the Quarterly Listing of Alien Insurers maintained by the International Insurers Department of the NAIC.
- The NAIC Quarterly Listing is available for purchase from the NAIC.
- Both foreign and alien insurers must submit a completed application and fee to DIFS.