Skip to main content

Must I be a licensed producer in order to represent a surplus lines carrier in providing coverage to a potential policyholder?

Yes, the Michigan Insurance Code Chapter 12 and Chapter 19 require that producers be duly licensed in Michigan. DIFS issued an Insurance Bulletin 2016-15-INS “Procurement of Surplus Lines Business by Licensed Agents” to provide guidance regarding the activities an agent without a surplus lines licensure may engage in when obtaining coverage in the surplus lines market.”