Requesting Military Records

The Department of Military and Veterans Affairs maintains copies of DD Forms 214, Release from Active Duty, for persons who served on active duty with the U.S. Armed Forces and who requested a copy of their DD Form 214 be forwarded to the State of Michigan. The individual (or next of kin for deceased veterans) may request a copy using the DD-214 Request Form. The next of kin must attach a copy of the veteran's death certificate with the request. Send the request to:

Michigan Department of Military and Veterans Affairs
Attn: Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency
P.O. Box 30104
Lansing, MI 48909
Phone: 800-642-4838
Fax: 517-284-5297 

Both the Michigan Army and Air National Guard have current military records of their members on file at State Headquarters. Current members should request their records through their unit or command. 


Retired Army National Guard members can request their records by filling out a Records Request Form and faxing it to 517-481-8363 or emailing it to  If you have questions about requesting records, you can contact the Army National Guard at 517-481-8331.


Retired Air National Guard members can request their records by calling 517-481-8277. 


The State Archives of Michigan has records of members of the Michigan State Troops, including rosters, lineage of units, and records of individuals for World War I and before. State the service member's name and the war in which the individual served and send your request to:

State Archives of Michigan
702 W. Kalamazoo St.
Lansing, MI 48915