Aid and Attendance for Veterans: An Under-Used Benefit

Agency: Military and Veterans Affairs

October 22, 2012


LANSING, MICH. - The Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMVA) is reaching out to inform wartime veterans and surviving spouses of deceased wartime veterans about a monthly pension benefit called Aid and Attendance. 


"Veterans who are receiving a VA pension or social security disability may qualify for this additional benefit," said Senior Director of Veterans Affairs Jason Allen.  "We want to ensure that every veteran or surviving spouse who qualifies has the chance to apply." 


Although this is not a new program, many people who qualify to receive this aid are not aware of it.  Aid and Attendance is a pension benefit that pays qualified veterans and their spouses for specific costs associated with home care and care provided in an assisted living facility or nursing home.  

Even veterans and surviving spouses whose incomes are above the congressionally mandated legal limit for a VA pension may still be eligible for Aid and Attendance funds if they have high medical expenses, including nursing home expenses, for which they do not receive reimbursement.

To qualify, claimants must be incapable of self support and in need of regular personal assistance.  


For the current income thresholds and application forms call the Veterans Administration at 800-827-1000 or go to then click on "Benefits," then "Compensation and Pension" and read the fact sheet for Aid and Attendance.  Veterans can go to the "Veterans with Limited Income" section and click on "Pension." Spouses should select "Dependents and Survivor Benefits" then click on "Death Pension Benefits."


To apply, use the form on the VA website or call the toll free number or contact a county Veteran Service Office in Michigan. The county offices are listed at The Michigan Department of Military and Veterans Affairs can be reached at 517-335-6523. Additional helpful resources can be found at