State Parks and Recreation Areas


All state recreation areas are open to hunting unless designated closed and all state parks are closed to hunting unless designated open. Information on areas open and/or closed can be found in Chapter VII of the Wildlife Conservation Orders, or by contacting the individual park or recreation area.

Quail may be harvested only by field trial participants in the Highland and Ionia Recreation Area field trial areas on days with authorized field trials. Contact the area headquarters for field trial dates.

There is no trapping within 50 feet of the mowed portions of specific areas within state recreation areas. Check with the park headquarters for current trapping regulations and any restrictions for those areas prior to trapping.

It is illegal to target shoot in a state park or recreation area, except on a designated shooting range at Bald Mountain, Island Lake, Ortonville and Pontiac Lake recreation areas.

To make camping reservations, go to or call 1-800-44-PARKS. Michigan residents have the opportunity to buy a Recreation Passport for $11 when renewing their vehicle registration with the Secretary of State. The Recreation Passport gives you access to over 100 state parks and recreation areas and all DNR-administered boat launches in Michigan. For more information go to or call 517-284-7275.

Out-of-state registered vehicles will require a daily ($9.00) or annual ($32.00) fee to enter any state park or DNR-administered boat launch.