Oden State Fish Hatchery
The original hatchery opened in 1921, but was replaced by a brand-new facility in 2002 and is one of the most advanced locations of its kind. Oden rears brown trout and rainbow trout for both inland and Great Lakes waters.
This hatchery also features an official visitor center (Oden Visitor's Center).
Location: 3377 US 31, Oden, MI 49764 (between the towns of Conway and Oden)
Hours: Trails and feeding fish are open year round at no charge to the public. Please contact the Visitor's Center directly for hatchery tour times and availability.
Memorial Day - Labor Day; everyday, 10 am to 6 pm.
Labor Day - October 30; Tuesday through Saturday, 10 am to 5 pm. Sundays, 12 pm to 5 pm.
October 31 - April 30; closed.
May 1 - Memorial Day; Tuesday through Saturday, 10 am to 5 pm. Sundays, 12 pm to 5 pm.
Location: 8258 South Ayr Road, Alanson, MI 49706
Contact: 231-347-4689 x12
Hours: Open at no charge to the public. Weekdays, 7:30 am to 4 pm. Weekends, 8 am to 4 pm. To schedule group tours, please call 231-347-4689.
Areas of interest to the public:
- Interpretative facilities and trails
- Replica fish transportation rail car
- Show pond featuring fish
- Broodstock facility with adult brown trout and rainbow trout on-site
- Egg-take activities from late September into early January (public is welcome to watch!)
- Underwater viewing chamber to see fish in native habitat
- Scheduled seasonal programming - including kid-friendly fishing activities
- Guided and self-guided tours
- Close proximity to resort towns of northern Michigan
- Bike path
- Birding opportunities (more than 120 species seen, including osprey and eagle)
- Location for Hatchery Passport Program
|Oden State Fish Hatchery Production|
|Brown trout - Gilchrist||Adult||1,428|
|Brown Trout - Sturgeon River||Adult||700|
|Brown Trout - Sturgeon River||Yearlings||95,410|
|Brown Trout - Wild Rose||Adult||680|
|Brown Trout - Wild Rose||Yearlings||277,307|
|Rainbow Trout - Eagle Lake||Adult||2,203|
|Rainbow Trout - Eagle Lake||Fall Fingerlings||233,755|
|Rainbow Trout - Eagle Lake||Yearlings||293,876|
For detailed information of fish stocked, see the DNR's website at: michigandnr.com/fishstock/.