Recreation Passport Grants

PA 32 of 2010 created the Local Public Recreation Facilities Fund to be used for the development of public recreation facilities for local units of government. Money for this fund is derived from the sale of the Recreation Passport which replaces the resident Motor Vehicle Permit (MVP) - or window sticker - for state park entrance. The passport is required for entry to state parks, recreation areas and boating access sites. The first $12,730,000.00 will be distributed to replace lost revenue from the elimination of the motor vehicle permit and boating access site permits, as well as to pay for administration by the Secretary of State. Ten percent of remaining revenue will be used to fund the Recreation Passport local grant program.

The grant program may only be used for local development projects. The program is focused on renovating and improving existing parks, but the development of new parks is eligible.