State Parks and Recreation Areas

  • All state recreation areas are open to hunting unless designated closed.
  • All state parks are closed to hunting unless designated open.

Parks and Recreation Areas with Hunting*
*Contact the individual park or recreation area for more information

Information on areas open and/or closed can be found in Chapter VII of the Wildlife Conservation Orders or by contacting the individual park or recreation area.

Quail may be harvested only by field trial participants in the Highland Recreation Area and Ionia Recreation Area field trial areas on days with authorized field trials. Contact the area headquarters for field trial dates.

There is no trapping within 50 feet of the mowed portions of specific areas within state recreation areas. Check with the park headquarters for current trapping regulations and any restrictions for those areas prior to trapping.

It is illegal to target shoot in a state park or recreation area, except on a designated shooting range at Bald Mountain, Island Lake, Ortonville and Pontiac Lake recreation areas.

To make camping reservations, go to or call 1-800-44-PARKS.

A Recreation Passport is required for entry into state parks and recreation areas. For more information go to or call 517-284-7275.