Silver Lake State Park
We posted a brief note Thursday, March 25 on new management efforts taking place at Silver Lake State Park ORV Area. The message was premature, and we apologize for any confusion that it may have caused.
We've been working in conjunction with our non-profit partner, Silver Lake Recreation Association (SLRA), over the past several months to help resolve some operational details. The department learned that grooming activities at the "test and tune" track require a permit. As a result, the groomed track will not open until the proper permitting is in place with EGLE. In addition, the "test and tune" track has become popular with vehicles accelerating in a manner consistent with drag racing; however, this activity is not allowed on land open to the public per Michigan statute (MCL 257.626a). As an alternative, the DNR is looking into the potential of working with a third-party group to manage a newly defined "test and tune" area.
About the park:
Silver Lake State Park is home to 2,000 acres of sand dunes, including a 450-acre ORV scramble area, that has been a family-fun destination for generations. Help maintain a safe and enjoyable environment for all visitors by reviewing the park's ORV rules below and the following best practices:
- Wear a helmet.
- Wear a seatbelt.
- Maintain safe speeds and control of your vehicle at all times.
- If modifying a vehicle, make sure safety features such as roll bars are included.
- Respect our natural resources - pay attention to signage indicating boundaries and protection efforts underway.
Dates & hours:
The ORV area is open April 1 - Oct. 31
- April 1 - April 30: 9 a.m. - 8 p.m.
- May 1 - Sept. 15: 9 a.m. - 10 p.m.
- Sept. 16 - Oct. 31: 9 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Please note: Access to the ORV area and dunes is stopped ½ hour ahead of closing time each evening.
All motor vehicles entering the Silver Lake State Park must display:
- Recreation Passport.
- Michigan ORV license and trail permit.
- Parking lot vouchers: Required on summer weekends and holidays.
Connect with us: