When it comes to trails, there’s no place like Michigan. We have more than 12,500 miles of state-designated trails that connect communities and provide real health and economic benefits. No matter where in Michigan you are, chances are you can find hiking and biking trails, equestrian trails, snowmobile trails, off-road vehicle trails and even water trails that will link you to many areas of the state.
Find your trail adventure
With trails that cater to a variety of passions – from biking, hiking and snowmobiling to off-roading, paddling and horseback riding – Michigan has a trail for you. Trails Week is the perfect time to hit the trails for the first time or try your hand (or feet) at a new trail adventure.
Michigan Trails Week concludes Saturday, Sept. 29, which is National Public Lands Day, traditionally a day for volunteer-led efforts to beautify and build awareness about the value and breadth of U.S. public lands. In fact, more than 30 percent of America’s land is public.
A few highlights of The Trails State
- Michigan's Iron Belle Trail, the longest designated state trail in the nation, is a 2,000-mile journey winding from Ironwood in the western Upper Peninsula to Belle Isle in Detroit, crisscrossing more than half the state's counties along both hiking and biking routes.
- Thousands of miles of ORV trails that are constantly being upgraded through funding generated by the sale of ORV licenses and trail permits. These dollars help fund the restoration of many existing trails and the ability to link more communities across the state.
- The largest statewide rail-trail system in the nation with more than 2,600 miles of old railroad lines that have been converted for recreational use.
- Thousands of miles of equestrian, snowmobile and water trail opportunities throughout the state, strengthening Michigan’s position as the nation’s Trails State.
- Governor's Proclamation: September 22-29, 2018: Michigan Trails Week
- Photos from Michigan trails
- Trails Week 2018 poster
- Michigan Trails Week Means Volunteers (Michigan Trails & Greenways Alliance)
- Michigan Trails Commends State Trail Advocates Through Annual Awards (Michigan Trails & Greenways Alliance)
Explore all of your Michigan trails options at www.michigan.gov/dnrtrails.
Department of Natural Resources