2021 Strategy DRAFT
Public lands exist at the federal, state and local level, but this strategy focuses exclusively on DNR-managed public lands. These will be referred to as “public lands” throughout the document.
You can review specific sections of the document by selecting the one of interest from the table of contents below. You may also review the comprehensive draft strategy by opening the full draft public land strategy as a PDF.
Table of Contents
- Section 1
- Why a Land Strategy?
- Introduction – Why Public Lands Matter, How a Management Strategy Helps
- History of the Department of Natural Resources and Public Lands
- How the DNR is Funded
- Section 2
- Overarching Principles
- Land Strategy Goals:
- Protect natural and cultural resources
- Provide access to outdoor public recreation opportunities
- Perform responsible natural resource management
- Section 3
Public Land Ownership Information
- Dedicated project boundaries
- State Land Review effort
- Land exchanges and disposals
- Acquiring land
- Payment in Lieu of Taxes (PILT)
- Section 4
- DNR Strategic Initiatives