New this year! We're seeking volunteers to serve as harbor hosts as part of a pilot project at Straits and Presque Isle state harbors in summer 2020! In exchange, harbor slip fees are waived. There may be additional host opportunities available in the coming years.
Harbor host duties vary based on location, but center around hospitality and service for boaters. The following activities are examples of potential duties:
- Assist boaters in and out of slips.
- Host a weekly coffee hour.
- Check bathrooms.
- Maintain bulletin boards, brochures and/or weather updates.
- Pick up trash.
- Clean sidewalks and docks of debris.
- Create and maintain a local services directory.
- Provide after-hours assistance to boaters.
Harbor hosts are screened and interviewed by staff and selected on availability, familiarity with boating, special skills and knowledge of the area. Hosts must participate in a two-day training session within the first two years of being selected. This year's training will take place June 3-4, 2020 at the Ralph A. MacMullan Conference Center in Roscommon.
- Must be 18 or older and provide your own boat, mooring lines, hoses, electrical hookup cables and dock bumpers.
- Must be able to volunteer at least five days a week (totaling 30 hours) for a minimum of four weeks, including weekends and holidays. The majority of opportunities fall between mid-May and mid-September, although there will be some needs during the shoulder season due to fishing or boating events.
- Must pass a background check.
- Applicants may not be DNR employees.
- All hosts are required to attend an in-person training within the first two years of their acceptance date into the host program.
- All harbor hosts will be provided uniforms and nametags.
- A new application is needed for each calendar year, but not for repeat terms of service at the same unit within a calendar year.
How to apply
Please complete the application and liability waiver below. Please email applications to CossM@michigan.gov. Applications are accepted year-round until vacancies are filled.
Questions? Please contact Michelle Coss via email or call 517-881-5884.