Share your thoughts with the DNR at upcoming virtual meetings
Oct. 21, 2020
|The Department of Natural Resources is committed to providing Michigan residents the opportunity to share input and ideas on policy decisions, programs and other aspects of natural resource management and outdoor recreation opportunities. One important avenue for this input is at meetings of the public bodies that advise the DNR and, in some cases, also set policies for natural resource management.
With COVID-19 public health and safety in mind, most upcoming meetings have been changed to virtual meetings or conference calls. Frequently check the DNR boards, commissions, committees and councils webpage for updates.
The links below will take you to the webpage for each group, where you will find specific virtual and teleconference meeting information and, when finalized, meeting agendas. Please check these pages frequently, as meeting details and agendas may change and sometimes meetings are canceled.
- Belle Isle Park Advisory Committee – Nov. 19, 9 a.m., virtual (Contact: Barbara Graves, 517-284-6135).
- Board of Foresters – Nov. 6, 8:30-9:30 a.m., teleconference (Dial: 248-509-0316, meeting code: 435528933#) and in person, Cummings-McCraney Real Estate Building, Newberry. To attend in person, an RSVP is required. (Contact: Brenda Haskill, 989-370-9557).
- Michigan Freedom Trail Commission – Nov. 13, 11 a.m., virtual (Contact: Sheri Giffin, 517-335-2591).
- Michigan Historical Commission – Nov. 19, 10 a.m., virtual (Contact: Michelle Davis, 517-335-2585).
- Michigan Iron Industry Museum – Nov. 10, 3 p.m., virtual (Contact: Barry James, 906-475-7857).
- Natural Resources Commission – Nov. 12, 9 a.m., virtual (Contact: Cheryl Nelson, 517-284-6237).
- Nonmotorized Advisory Workgroup – Nov. 19, 10 a.m., conference call (Contact: Annalisa Centofanti, 517-284-6112).
- Timber and Forest Products Advisory Council – Nov. 20, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., virtual (Contact: Kimberley Korbecki, 517-284-5876).
- Urban and Community Forestry Council – Nov. 2, 10 a.m., virtual (Contact: Kevin Sayers, 517-582-3209).
- Western Upper Peninsula Citizens’ Advisory Council – Nov. 10, 5:30 p.m. CDT/6:30 p.m. EDT, virtual (Contact: Stacy Welling Haughey, 906-226-1331).
Forest management reviews
In addition to regular meetings, the DNR will host virtual compartment reviews in November to discuss planned forest management activities. Contact the unit manager of each region for information on how to attend online or by phone.
- Escanaba area – Nov. 4 (Contact: Eric Thompson, 906-789-8231).
- Newberry area – Nov. 11 (Contact: Keith Magnusson, 906-291-0120).
Upcoming opportunities to serve
The following boards and commissions are currently seeking applicants to fill open seats:
- Equine Trails Subcommittee, an advisory group providing guidance and recommendations on a statewide network of pack and saddle trails, has an open seat for the northern Lower Peninsula. Send letter of interest and resume to DNR-Trails@Michigan.gov by Nov. 14. For more information, contact Anna Centofanti at 517-331-6219.
- Michigan Freedom Trail Commission is seeking candidates to fill four vacant seats available in February. Candidates must have knowledge of historic preservation and active involvement in civil rights, and must be academic-community knowledgeable in African-American history. Applications must be submitted by early December. Contact Sheri Giffin at 517-335-2591 for more information or apply here.
- Michigan State Waterways Commission is seeking a candidate to fill a vacant seat. It’s the commission’s goal to establish a new member, who will represent the general public, before its Dec. 4 meeting. For more information, call or email Michelle Wieber at 517-285-0747, or apply here.
Laptop photo used courtesy of Lauren Mancke via Unsplash.