This holiday, we're giving thanks for you
Nov. 23, 2020
Thanksgiving is here, a celebration of coming together, but this one feels so different for many of us. Yet different can also mean opportunities to create new traditions. In that spirit, we're sharing a few ideas on things to do over the holiday weekend even if you're not traveling or gathering with groups of family and friends.
- Make it a happy “Flanksgiving,” with venison taking center stage at your table. Find public lands, accessible hunting blinds and other hunter resources at Michigan.gov/Hunting
- Get kids playing outside with the Michigame Jr. outdoor bingo game.
- Check out your local Family Friendly Fishing spot.
- Invite your family to find historic markers wherever they are, then meet up for a Thanksgiving videoconference to explore the lore from around Michigan.
- Find a few fun family activities for anyone on your family tree from the educators at Project Learning Tree.
- Get to know new neighbors! Winter birding is starting now, with many of the summer migrants already gone and our winter feathered friends checking in.
- Get a jump on holiday shopping and support natural and cultural resources when you shop our These Goods are Good for Michigan partners or at Michiganology.com.
- #OptOutside and take a walk. Around the block, at your local park or at a nearby state park, find a trail and work off those Thanksgiving calories!
On behalf of Michigan’s woods, waters and wildlife, thank you. Thank you for embracing Michigan’s outdoor places during this unpredictable year. Thank you for making public lands your destination to safely connect with family and friends, to reframe your fitness, or simply to seek out space to clear your head.
Thanks for being a part of Michigan’s great outdoors, where the doors are always open!