The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Habitat Improvement Fund
To provide funds for projects on the Manistee, Muskegon and Au Sable rivers to improve and enhance fisheries and aquatic resources affected by the operation of Consumers Energy Company's hydropower projects. These projects include fisheries habitat restoration and enhancement, preparing comprehensive river management plans, aquatic studies, fisheries recreation, water quality improvement and soil erosion control activities on these three rivers.
- The proposed project must be needed in the area.
- Degree to which the project meets one of the needs, areas of concern, or management direction indicated by the river assessments, river management plans, or Fisheries Division priorities and supported by the project coordinator.
- Length of time the project will provide benefits.
- Impact on future research projects such as enhancement to increase natural recruitment thereby reducing future costs of stocking.
- Reduction of future expenditures or direct expenditures in a positive manner.
- Size of area that will benefit from the proposed project.
- Proposed project benefits compared to the costs.
- Applicant has made preliminary arrangements with appropriate contractors for completion of the proposed project.
- Proposed projects having match funds available will be given preference.
All units of government, nonprofit organizations, and individuals willing to develop and complete projects located in the watersheds for the three river systems where the Consumers Energy Company hydropower projects are located.
Project applications are coordinated with the local Fisheries Division Management Biologist for each river system, with applications due by November 10, 2017. Approved project awards will be announced by April 13, 2018. The project period will begin upon execution of grant agreement and follow terms and conditions of the agreement.
Project applications are due in the office of the local Fisheries Division Management Biologist by November 10, 2017.
The application review process for eligible projects is Nov.10, 2017 through April 13, 2018. Funds are dispersed to approved projects after April 13, 2018. Verification of project completion is due by October 30, 2019 (with option for extension, if requested and approved).
Dollar amount available
No minimum amount; no maximum amount.
Source of funds
Game and Fish Settlement Fund.
Annual appropriation by the Michigan Legislature.
Fisheries Division: Kyle Kruger, Mio, (989-826-3211, Ext. 7073), KrugerK@Michigan.gov.
NOTE: The program timeline has been revised; any projects submitted on the previous project application schedule will be carried forward and evaluated along with projects submitted on the new schedule. Contact Kyle Kruger at 989-826-3211, Ext. 7073, regarding questions.