Skip to main content

Camping at state parks

Camping at a state park or recreation area

  • Campsites: Check-in for camping arrival starts at 3 p.m., and checkout is1 p.m. 

    Lodging: Check-in for overnight lodging starts at 4 p.m., and checkout is noon.

    In the off-season, campers must check in upon arrival at the campground office or with the "yellow phone."

    Yellow phone:

    Pick up the yellow phone and it will automatically connect you to the call center, M-Th 8 a.m.-10 p.m., Fri 8 a.m.-10 p.m., Sat-Sun 9 a.m.-10 p.m. If you arrive after call center hours, please check the campground office window for information on site availability and instructions on how to self-register.

  • No more than six people and two vehicles per campsite. A motorhome does not count as a vehicle when used as the camping unit.

    Tent-only campsites are limited to the number of tents that can fit on a campsite, which means as many tents as necessary to accommodate a single camping party are permitted within the boundaries of the site.

    In other sites, one primary camping unit (ie. truck camper, trailer, RV, etc.) and one tent are allowed with the exception of children who may occupy up to two tents on the same site as their parents or guardians.

  • Campfires are permitted in designated fire rings only. 

    Please purchase heat-certified firewood sold in parks or purchase firewood that has been certified as heat-treated at local stores and roadside stands. In an effort to save Michigan's trees, we are considering a proposed firewood policy to combat this issue. Learn firewood policies.

  • Camping is permitted in designated sites only. A responsible person (18 years or older) must register and be a member of the party camping each night.

  • Discharge of firearms, air guns, slingshots or arrows aren't permitted in campground boundaries.

  • Quiet hours are between 10 p.m. and 8 a.m. during which time campers may not knowingly cause noise that disturbs others.

    Radios, generators or other amplified devices may not create excessive noise.

  • To help reduce impacts to park infrastructure and protect natural resources, non-registered campers are required to pay a $10 fee and have a Recreation Passport to utilize sanitation/dump stations except for locations where infrastructure can't withstand additional use.

    Locations that do not allow non-registered campers to utilize sanitation/dump stations include Baraga State Park, Burt Lake SP, Cheboygan SP, Fort Custer SP, Hoeft SP, Holly Recreation Area (currently closed), Interlochen SP, North Higgins Lake SP, Port Crescent SP, Rifle River RA and Twin Lakes SP.

  • Selling or renting a state-managed campsite, cabin, lodge, or harbor slip is defined as commercial activity and is prohibited. Reservations must be canceled if they cannot be used by the original reservation holder, they cannot be sold or transferred to another party. Park staff may not honor a reservation that has been sold and transferred.