Skip to main content

Building Michigan Together Plan - state parks progress

bird's eye view of channel and campground

Building Michigan Together Plan - state parks progress

Once-in-a-generation investment

The Building Michigan Together Plan, signed into law in March 2022, included $250 million in federal relief program funding to help tackle the backlog of critical infrastructure needs in our state parks system. This historic investment puts in motion a targeted effort to repair, replace or modernize the core components of state parks and trails. An additional $23 million was appropriated Aug. 1, 2023 for Belle Isle Park, including $10 million awarded to the Belle Isle Conservancy to tackle crucial HVAC upgrades. ARPA funding now stands at $273 million for the state's parks and recreation system.

The funding won’t solve every challenge, but will help address aging historic structures, camping facilities, parking lots, restrooms, water and sanitary systems and other vital amenities – projects that will solidly position state parks, trails and campgrounds to continue delivering the world-class outdoor recreation and visitor experiences that bring people back, year after year.

Looking for more information? Check out our FAQ page, a regularly updated roundup of answers to questions on everything from how projects were prioritized to how soon funding must be used.

An important note: Project costs and timelines are estimates based on the most urgent needs in our parks system but may be affected by contractor availability and supply chain challenges. Watch this space – including the interactive project map – for updates on where and how the funding will be used, status of individual projects, and more.

Map our progress

Use this interactive dashboard to see where projects are planned and what’s underway! Click on the projects in the table to view the project details, including the funding amount, project category, photos (where available) and more. You can also filter the list by project status.

Note: This application contains a complex, interactive map and dashboard. If you have questions or need assistance, please contact Neil Pennanen at or 517-284-6086. You also can view the projects in a list, or find the latest details on these associated closures at

As projects move through phases – proposed, in planning, in progress or completed – we will update this dashboard, including photos of projects as they become available.

State parks and trails project dashboard

New state park in Flint in the works

Conceptual drawing of possible riverfront feature in new Flint state park showing a beach area with a walkway and kayakers on the river.

Up to $30.2 million is designated for development of a new state park in Flint – the first in Genesee County. The state park is envisioned to include Chevy Commons, Mott Park Recreation Area, Riverbank Park, Vietnam Veterans Park, Happy Hollow Nature Area and existing trails, along with other lands along the Flint River that are being considered in collaboration with Genesee County, the City of Flint, Charles Stewart Mott Foundation and potential donors. We’re working with the many partners to create a sustainably operated state park with easy access to surrounding neighborhoods, universities, community anchors and the Iron Belle Trail.

Given its location and existing, unique architectural features, the park will be a key element of the redevelopment of the Flint Riverfront area. We will share more information about the new park as the process develops.

To gather public feedback on the proposed design concepts, a public open house was held Tuesday, Oct. 4 in Flint. An online public input survey was also made available throughout October.

Did you know general fund tax dollars provide just 3% of the state parks budget? The remaining 97% is generated through user fees and royalty revenues. Learn more about how parks are funded.

Explore Michigan's parks, trails and waterways. Get facts, statistics and management information about our state parks system and state trails system.

Check out our "state parks progress" photo gallery where you will find a mix of images: some showing opportunities for repair, others showing more “scenic” activities and areas at the parks.

Putting a story together? Send an email to and we will connect you with the right DNR Parks and Recreation staff.

In the news

Michigan Spark Grants

If you’re looking for information about the Building Michigan Together Plan’s record $65 million investment in local and community parks (especially those communities adversely affected by the COVID-19 pandemic), the DNR is administering those dollars through the Michigan Spark Grants program.