Skip to main content

How hunters can help

Leg-band reporting

Every hunter can promote sound waterfowl management by promptly reporting all banded and/or neck-collared ducks and geese harvested, including date and location taken. This information is used to determine annual survival, migration routes and contribution to the state harvest from different breeding grounds.

To report bands, call 800-327-BAND, go to or write:
USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
Bird Banding Laboratory
12100 Beech Forest Road
Laurel, MD 20708-4037

Hunter surveys

Some hunters are randomly selected each year to participate in state or federal harvest surveys, including collection of wings, tails, and other body parts. Accurate and complete reporting is essential for biologists to estimate the annual harvest and impact of hunting. Please do your part to help manage waterfowl by responding to surveys. The knowledge gained permits selection of annual regulations that maximize hunting opportunities while perpetuating healthy waterfowl populations for future hunters.

North American Waterfowl Management Plan

Michigan wetlands are highlighted in an international plan to restore wetlands and uplands important to waterfowl and other wetland-dependent wildlife in North America. This ambitious effort is entitled the North American Waterfowl Management Plan (NAWMP). It seeks to combine the scientific knowledge and financial resources of government at the federal, provincial and state levels, along with private conservation groups and individuals, to restore and improve millions of acres of wetland and grass-land nesting cover in the United States and Canada. This can only be achieved through teamwork or partnerships of many groups and individuals, since the task is too large and expensive for any one group or organization. Want to do your part to help? Get involved.

Ducks Unlimited and other conservation organizations are cooperating with the Department of Natural Resources (DNR), U.S. Forest Service (USFS), U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) and County Soil Conservation Districts in wetland and grass-land restoration projects. Donations for wetland acquisition and restoration can be accepted by the DNR Wildlife Division and many other conservation organizations that are supporting the NAWMP. The USFWS and Farm Service Agency can also fund wetland restoration projects on private lands. Contact your nearest DNR, USFS, or USFWS office or local offices of the U.S. Department of Agriculture for additional information.