Driver Responsibility Fee Suspensions
If you have received an "Order of Action" notice alerting you of a Driver Responsibility Fee suspension, please read carefully the information below.
Driver Responsibility Fee suspensions are issued because payment in full has not been made or you have not entered into an approved Installment Agreement with the Michigan Department of Treasury.
There is no hardship appeal on the Driver Responsibility Fee amount or the Driver Responsibility Fee suspension. As such, a restricted license cannot be issued to you.
If the suspension has not yet started.
To AVOID the suspension, please do the following:
- Contact the Michigan Department of Treasury to make arrangements to pay your Driver Responsibility Fee by calling (517) 636-5240.
- Pay the Driver Responsibility Fee in full. The suspension may be avoided if you now choose to make payment arrangements. The suspension will be dismissed from your driving record after the fee is paid in full or an approved Installment Agreement has been accepted (allowing sufficient time for processing) and processed BEFORE the effective date of the suspension.
- Keep in mind payment processing time may vary. Most payment methods take up to 14 business days for mailing and processing time. Ask about the best and fastest payment options available to avoid the suspension.
If the suspension has already started...
To TERMINATE the suspension, please do the following:
- Contact the Michigan Department of Treasury to make arrangements to pay your Drivers Responsibility Fee by calling (517) 636-5240.
- Pay the Driver Responsibility Fee in full. Under certain conditions, driving privileges MAY be reinstated with an approved Installment Agreement. The only guaranteed way to terminate the suspension is payment in full.
- Once the Driver Responsibility Fee is paid in full, you must pay a $125 reinstatement fee to the Michigan Department of State to reinstate your driving privileges. The reinstatement fee of $125 may be included in the approved Installment Agreement.
Most payment methods take up to 14 business days for mailing and processing time.
For more information see Suspension / Reinstatement Information.