State of Michigan's Environment Triennial Reports
Public Act 195 of 1999 (Environmental Indicators Act) was signed into law in December 1999. The law requires the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) to work with the Michigan Department of Natural Resources (MDNR) to prepare biennial reports on the quality of the state's environment based on scientifically supportable environmental indicators and using sound scientific methodologies.
On January 28, 2000, the Governor of Michigan requested the Michigan Environmental Science Board (MESB) to evaluate a series of environmental indicators proposed by the MDEQ and MDNR for use in the legislatively mandated report. The MESB report entitled, Recommended Environmental Indicators Program for the State of Michigan, was submitted to the Governor in July 2001. Of the environmental indicators proposed for consideration by the MDEQ and MDNR, the MESB recommended that 20 be included into a statewide environmental indicators program. The MESB also recommended that one additional indicator (Climate and Weather Change) be taken into consideration in the state's evaluation.
The first biennial State of Michigan's Environment Report (Biennial Report) was completed and transmitted to the Michigan Legislature in November 2001. The second and third Biennial Reports were completed in December 2003 and January 2006, respectively. In December 2005, the Environmental Indicators Act was amended by Public Act 313 changing the frequency of the report's preparation from a biennial to a triennial basis. Triennial reports were issued for 2008, 2011, 2014, and 2017. Public Act 237 of 2018, effective on September 25, 2018 repealed the reporting requirement. The purpose of this web page is to consolidate information related to the report series.
- State of Michigan’s Environment 2017: Fourth Triennial Report
- State of Michigan’s Environment 2014: Third Triennial Report
- State of Michigan's Environment 2011: Second Triennial Report
- Harrison, K.G. (ed.). 2008. State of Michigan's Environment 2008: First Triennial Report, December 2008. Prepared by KGH Environmental PLC for the Michigan Departments of Environmental Quality and Natural Resources, Lansing. 98p.
- Harrison, K.G. (ed.). 2006. State of Michigan's Environment 2005: Third Biennial Report, January 2006. Prepared by KGH Environmental PLC for the Michigan Departments of Environmental Quality and Natural Resources, Lansing. 100p.
- Harrison, K.G. (ed.). 2003. State of Michigan's Environment 2003: Second Biennial Report, December 2003. Office of Special Environmental Projects, Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, Lansing. 84p.
- Harrison, K.G. (ed.). 2001. State of Michigan's Environment 2001: First Biennial Report, November 2001. Office of Special Environmental Projects, Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, Lansing. 56p.
- Premo, B.J., D.T. Long, R.J. Huggett, D. Premo, W.W. Taylor, G.T. Wolff, and K.G. Harrison. 2001.Recommended Environmental Indicators Program for the State of Michigan, July 2001. Michigan Environmental Science Board, Lansing. x + 88p.