Oil Spill News and Updates
The Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) is responsible for ensuring the complete investigation of residual effects of the July 2010 oil spill near Marshall, Michigan, along with long-term remediation and restoration of affected areas to meet state law requirements. Since the release of heavy crude oil from Line 6B of Enbridge Energy's Lakehead pipeline system, EGLE has partnered with the US-EPA in overseeing early response efforts, including the containment and removal of oil from Michigan's environment. EGLE and its sister agency, the Department of Natural Resources, are also Natural Resource Trustees (along with the Michigan Department of Attorney General) designated by Governor Snyder to participate in a Trustee Council which includes federal and tribal representatives with an interest in ensuring that Enbridge Energy returns the Talmadge Creek and Kalamazoo River ecosystems to pre-spill conditions.
On May 13, 2015, a Consent Judgment was entered by the Calhoun County Circuit Court. The Consent Judgment includes settlement terms that assure Enbridge’s full compliance with state law requirements, including certain compensation to the state of Michigan.
This page can be accessed as www.mi.gov/oilspill.
- No Further Action Report - Segment 5 Public Comment Period June 9 through July 9, 2019
The NFA Report is available for review at the Marshall District Library, 124 W. Green Street, Marshall, MI 49068, the Galesburg Memorial Library, 188 E. Michigan Avenue, Galesburg, MI 49053, and the Willard Library, 7 W. Van Buren Street, Battle Creek, MI 49017. A copy will also be available for review during normal business hours at the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE), Kalamazoo District Office, 7953 Adobe Road, Kalamazoo, Michigan 49009.
- Final State Settlement
- No Further Action Report Progress Segment Status as of March 2019
- Conceptual Site Model
- 2019 Annual Submittal Schedule
- Remedial Investigation Work Plans
- Natural Resource Damage Assessment
- EPA Response to Enbridge oil spill in Michigan
- Michigan Department of Community Health Enbridge Oil Spill information
- Oil Spill Photos and Videos
- Enbridge Energy
- Oil Spill Locational Map with Aerial Photos (4 MB)