Frequently Asked Questions
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS were developed by compliance assistance staff based on calls and e-mails received into our Environmental Assistance Center. While each question has been carefully answered, they are not designed to cover every aspect of the regulations relative to your situation. Please contact us anytime through the EAC at 800-662-9278 if you need help.
How do I find the local health department?
Does EGLE publish a book that explains all of its regulatory programs? Yes! The Michigan Guide to Environmental, Safety and Health Regulations.
CONSUMER PRODUCTS RULE
- What online resources are available to realtors and the general public interested in locating potentially contaminated or listed contaminated sites?
- Where can I find information about contaminated sites on EGLE's Web site?
OIL & GAS
- What are mineral rights?
- How is property pooled for oil and gas production?
- What is Hydrogen Sulfide gas, and how is it produced?
- Does EGLE require that an environmental consulting firm meet certain standards to be qualified to investigate and clean up contamination caused by leaking underground storage tanks (LUST)?
- Which underground or aboveground storage tanks need to pay fees, be plan reviewed, and registered in Michigan?
HAZARDOUS WASTE/LIQUID INDUSTRIAL BY-PRODUCTS
- What should homeowners do with expired and unused medications?
- What is a hazardous waste satellite container?
- What wastes can't go to a landfill from a household?
- Liquid industrial By-Products FAQs
- Part 115 Beneficial Use Statute Provisions Frequently Asked Questions
- Solid Waste Management Plan Amendments Frequently Asked Questions
- Solid Waste Recycling Advisors Frequently Asked Questions
- Composting –Frequently Asked Questions for Residents
- Composting –Frequently Asked Questions for Composting Facilities
DISCHARGE MONITORING REPORTING (DMR)
- Where is my permit?
- What activities require Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Permit (Part 91) and/or Storm Water Coverage for Construction Activities (Part 31) and where do you get the permits?
- Joint Permit Application FAQs
SEPTAGE & BIOSOLIDS
- What is the difference between septage and biosolids? Are septage haulers allowed to discharge septage on the ground?
- What are biosolids, how are they used, and are they safe?
TRAINING AND CERTIFICATION
- Lagoon Systems
- When rustic camping, what soap products are the best to use when washing dishes or bathing?
- What regulatory program regulates the wastewater discharge from my facility?
- What EGLE regulations apply to homeowners that want to discharge wastewater to the ground at their homes?
- What environmental protection practices should be considered related to community car washes (fund raising events for nonprofit organizations where numerous vehicles are washed at one location over a short period of time)?
- A sanitary sewer line is going past my home. Can the local unit of government require me to hook up to the sanitary sewer?
What is dewatering? How does Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) regulate dewatering activities, and what practices can be employed to help protect neighboring wells and surface water quality during this activity?