Proposed Marathon Consent Order, community projects subject of public session, hearing
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 27, 2020
Nick Assendelft, Public Information Officer, AssendelftN@Michigan.gov, 517-388-3135
Jenine Camilleri, Enforcement Unit Supervisor, CamilleriJ@Michigan.gov, 517-643-2612
The Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) has scheduled an online information session and public hearing for Wednesday on a proposed Consent Order against Marathon Petroleum Co. under which it will pay a total of $363,853.
The online session will begin at 6 p.m. Afterward, attendees will have ample time to ask questions of EGLE staff. The public hearing will follow the information session and will include time for attendees to provide comments that will become part of the official record.
Under the proposed Consent Order, Marathon will spend $282,000 on two Supplemental Environmental Projects developed with extensive input from the community around the refinery in southwest Detroit. Marathon will retrofit the air handling system at the Mark Twain School for Scholars to improve indoor air quality for students and staff. The company will also create an online platform where the public will be able to track real-time air quality data collected at the refinery’s perimeter.
Under the proposed Consent Order, Marathon will also pay an $81,853 fine to the state’s General Fund. The Consent Order resolves numerous violations assessed by EGLE against the company dating back to September 2017.
Details about Wednesday's online session and hearing:
- Who: EGLE Air Quality Division staff.
- What: Information session on Marathon consent order and community projects followed by a question-and-answer session. After the information session, there will be a public hearing where attendees can submit comments into the official record on the Consent Order.
- When: 6 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 2.
- Where: Register to attend the virtual meeting and public hearing, or you can join just before the event begins. Pre-registration is not required to attend this hearing. If you do not have internet access and would like to call in to the hearing, you may call (312) 626-6799, use access code 984 3522 2168#.
A public comment period on the consent order is open until Sept. 28. To submit comments:
- Mail them to Erin Moran, Enforcement Specialist, EGLE, AQD, P.O. Box 30260, Lansing, Michigan, 48909-7760.
- Email to MoranE@Michigan.gov.
- Leave a voicemail by calling 517-284-0900.
Information about the enforcement action is available in English, Arabic or Spanish.
# # #