Ford Livonia Transmission Plant
While renovating the Livonia Transmission Plant (Plant), Ford Motor Company reported the discovery of chlorinated compounds in the groundwater to EGLE. Ford Motor Company investigated the contamination and determined one of these compounds, vinyl chloride, had migrated east of the Plant in groundwater into the adjacent residential neighborhood. Ford Motor Company installed monitoring wells and soil gas wells around the Plant and in the residential neighborhood in an effort to assess groundwater and soil gas conditions. In July of 2017 Ford Motor Company entered into a Consent Decree with EGLE. The Consent Decree requires Ford Motor Company to conduct investigations and remedial actions under a schedule while EGLE conducts formal regulatory oversight.
Groundwater in the area is shallow and EGLE required Ford Motor Company to install additional monitor wells screened at the top of the groundwater table to assess the potential risk to homes in the area for vapor intrusion. Some of these shallow wells have been installed and some are currently being installed. Results from some of these wells have identified a groundwater plume of vinyl chloride above site-specific volatilization to indoor air criteria. EGLE is requiring Ford Motor Company to install mitigation systems to address the residences within this groundwater plume on an expedited schedule.
Additional investigation and sampling of monitor wells will continue throughout 2019.
You are welcome to register to be part of our e-mail listserv. This is another way EGLE is providing up-to-date information to interested parties. To receive information updates, please join our Ford Livonia Vapor Intrusion Listserv.
- Ford Livonia Transmission Plant - Map of shallow groundwater wells with addresses dated May 8, 2019
- Ford Livonia Transmission Plant - Map of Plume and 100 foot offset dated 4/19/2019
- Project Update - March 2019
- Updated Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - March 2019
- DEQ Presentation - March 2019
- Ford Livonia Transmission Plant Shallow Well Installation Map dated 3/20/2019
- Ford Livonia Transmission Plant Map of Plume & 100 feet offset dated 3/29/2019
- DHHS Presentation - 2019
- What is Vapor Intrusion? (Website)
- Join Our Ford Livonia Vapor Intrusion Listserv - March 2019
- Previous Postings
Community Outreach and Education
Environmental Assistance Center
Veterans & Community Wellness, Environmental Health Section