Training: Construction Storm Water Operator
Certification as a Construction Storm Water Operator / Soil Erosion Inspector allows you to:
- Inspect sites to determine compliance with a Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Plan
- Document Inspection
- Identify Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Measures that are failing or require maintenance
- Identify areas where additional SESC measures may be necessary
- Report to landowner (or Comprehensive Certified individuals for employees or contractors for Part 91 Enforcing Agencies or Authorized Public Agencies) the findings of the inspection, including any corrective or additional action recommended.
- Certified Construction Storm Water Operators may be the same person responsible for installing and maintaining the Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control measures, however, this is not a required duty under the certification
- The Construction Storm Water Certifications are valid until July 1, five years from the year in which you take and pass the certification exam. Comprehensive Soil Erosion Certifications of Training issued after January 1, 2012, will also follow the aforementioned renewal schedule with certifications being valid until July 1, five years from the year in which you take and pass the certification exam. Older SESC certificates of training were valid for five years from the date of the test.
The Construction Storm Water (CSWO) Certification (i.e. Inspector Certification) is always valid until July 1, five years from the year in which an individual has last taken and passed the CSWO Exam. If an individual would like to renew their CSWO certification, they must do so by mail prior to the date of expiration. A reminder letter will be sent to the individual in January/February of the year they are set to expire. This letter will prompt the individual to go to our website, print out the Renewal Application, and submit it by mail with the fee of $95 to the address on the application. This will renew their CSWO certification for another 5 years.
An individual is NOT permitted to retake the CSWO exam to simply extend their expiration date. The expiration dates of their CSWO (i.e. Inspector) certification and their SESC Plan Review & Design (i.e. Comprehensive SESC) certification will likely be different; however, that is expected to occur. An individual can only take the CSWO exam if they have never taken it before, or, if their previous certification has already expired (i.e. they were unable to renew it prior to the date of expiration).
Individuals should check the status of their CSWO certification (i.e. expiration date) to determine if they need to either renew by mail, or, retake the class and exam.
- 2019 Construction Storm Water Operator Training Schedule
- 2020 Construction Storm Water Operator Training Schedule
- How to Pay and Expectations
- EGLE SESC / CSW Staff Map
- Training Manual
- Training Video
- Training FAQ