Brownfield Redevelopment Assessment Program

Contact: Ron Smedley 517-242-9048

Geoprobe 3Brownfield Site Assessments


The Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) and the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) offer free environmental assessments to facilitate brownfield redevelopment.

Sites that are known or suspected to be contaminated need to be evaluated before they're redeveloped. An environmental site assessment helps evaluate the environmental condition of a property.  This information can be used to determine whether a property is safe to reuse, and if not, what would be needed to make it safe.  Site assessments might be done by a prospective buyer, or by an owner or local government trying to sell the property for redevelopment.

Who's eligible? EGLE provides free site assessments for local governments, non-profits, and developers across Michigan. EGLE's Brownfield Site Assessment program is flexible and supports community development goals.

What does it pay for? Brownfield Site Assessments can pay for a range of environmental assessments and documentation for redevelopment at qualified sites. Candidate properties with a proposed or active redevelopment project are higher priority than properties that are being marketed for sale or lease. EGLE also considers whether the property owner or developer could be liable for the environmental contamination.

Is there a deadline? A local government, brownfield redevelopment authority, economic development agency, or a local non-profit can nominate a property at any time - there's no application deadline. The application process is quick and EGLE staff usually determine the project's eligibility within two weeks.

You need to #KnowYourDirt before you redevelop contaminated property! If you know of a property where historical uses or known contamination impede redevelopment and want to know more, the EGLE Brownfield Site Assessment program can help. For questions, contact EGLE's Brownfield Site Assessment Program Coordinator, Ronald Smedley at 517-242-9048, or by email at