MiWaters Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

FAQ topics:


How to Create a MiWaters account

Please refer to our How to create an account in MiWaters PDF document.


How to comment on a MiWaters Public Notice

Please refer to our How to comment on a MiWaters Public Notice PDF document.


Instructions on how to fill out the Joint Permit Application

Follow these steps when creating an account and applying for a permit in MiWaters:

  1. Confirm you have an active email account that you will associate with the new MiWaters User Account.
  2. Go to MiWaters. https://miwaters.deq.state.mi.us/miwaters/external/home
  3. Create an account by following the steps after clicking “Create an Account” on the Main page.
  4. After finishing the steps, look in your email for the account activation notice. You will need to click this link before you can start using your account.
  5. After you sign in to your account the first time, you will choose your security questions by clicking on the link in the activation email. Keep track of your security answers and you password.
  6. Locate the permit application form by clicking on the “Apps, Requests, Reports” link located in the left sidebar of the screen.
  7. Select “Start New Form”.
  8. Type in “JPA” under “Form Name” to search for the digital Joint Permit Application. Select the form “EGLE/Joint Permit Application (JPA)…”.
  9. Open the form in MiWaters and provide the requested information. If applying for a projects in a critical dune area or high risk erosion area choose “Individual Permit”.
  10. Upload the requested documents including location map, a detailed site plan and cross-sections with dimensions, an authorization letter if you have an agent and/or proposed work (including access) is taking place on property that you do not own.
  11. Submit your payment. See the fee schedule at https://www.michigan.gov/documents/deq/DEQ-WRD-JPA-Fee-Schedule_649326_7.pdf

See more information about the Joint Permit Application at https://www.michigan.gov/documents/deq/deq-wrd-jpa-instructions_353995_7.pdf.

Updating User Name After Legal Name Change

In MiWaters on the upper right you will find a symbol of a person and your user name.  Click on your name and it will take you to the User Profile screen where you can update your legal name, title, company name and phone number, and also chose your notification delivery preference to receive email notifications from MiWaters and change your password.

Please note: Shared Accounts are not authorized within MiWaters.  User accounts must represent an individual and name changes should only result from legal name changes, or change in place of employment of the user. 

MiWaters Updating User Name


Change in email address

If you would like to update your email address please send an email request to EGLE-WRD-MiWaters@michigan.gov including your current email address, new email address and the reason for the change. You will receive an auto-generated email to both of the email addresses when the change has been made.


Forgot your password?

If you need to reset your password click the forgot password link at the log in screen for MiWaters.  You will be prompted to enter your email address and answer a security question.

MiWaters Forgot Password link


Security Question reset

If you have forgotten the answer to your security questions please email us at EGLE-WRD-MiWaters@michigan.gov or call the Environmental Assistance Center at 800-662-9278.  You will be asked to verify your identity.


Locked account

If you are locked out of your account please email us at EGLE-WRD-MiWaters@michigan.gov.  You will be asked to verify your identity.


Site Invitations & Authorized users

Administrators of a site can invite other users to join by clicking “authorized users” and the green “invite user to join” button.  You will be prompted to enter the name, email address and role you would like the person to have.  An auto-generated email will be sent to both you and the person you invited with a link that will connect them to the site when they click it.  Roles provide different capabilities:

  • Viewer - May view site information but can't make any changes
  • Editor - May fill out forms and reports. May need to require certifier permissions to submit, depending on form type
  • Administrator - Can edit site information, invite other users to join the site, inactivate users, and request certifier permissions for users

Authorized users also allows administrators to change roles that have been assigned to individuals and inactivate users who are no longer involved in the site.

MiWaters Site Invitations and Authorized users


Obtaining Certifier Status (to submit compliance reports, schedules, permit renewals, etc.)

Under federal rules, certifier rights are needed to submit certain types of forms and reports. To be granted certifier rights it is required that users submit a Certifier Agreement Form that must be approved by the department and an administrator for the site must request certifier status in MiWaters.  Certifier status can be requested by clicking on Authorized Users and clicking “open” to the right of the person you are requesting certifier status for.  Then click the “request Certifier Access” button and download the certifier agreement form to completed, signed and the original wet ink signature form mailed via U.S. Mail to Certifier Agreement Administrator Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy P.O. Box 30458 Lansing, MI 48909-7958.  The address is available on the top of the agreement form also.

Download the Certifier Agreement Form here

MiWaters Obtaining Certifier Status


Contact Updates

If you have a change in staff or would like to update contacts for any reason you can do this by clicking details on the left of the screen under your site name and then contacts in the upper middle tab.  Here you can click the green button to add a new contact or the open button to the right of the person’s name you would like to edit or inactivate.  You cannot permanently delete a contact for historical record purposes.

MiWaters Contact Updates


System password glitch during submissions

Several users have reported receiving a “certifier” error at point of submittal on reports.  In the event you receive this error during submittal, please try the following:

  1. Using a different browser.
  2. Signing in to MiWaters on a different computer.
  3. Deleting the draft and starting over by clicking on the gear as pictured below.

MiWaters System password glitch


Receiving too many emails from MiWaters?  You can update your notifications to be delivered to MiWaters instead of your email. 

If you are receiving too many emails from MiWaters, you can change your notification preferences and have them sent to MiWaters only.  Click on your name and it will take you to your User Profile.  Scroll down to Account Settings and change the Notification Delivery Preference to Deliver in MiWaters only. 
Please note: you will no longer received schedule of compliance reminders via email.

MiWaters too many emails


Site Explorer

The link to the MiWaters Site Explorer and instructions can be found here: https://www.michigan.gov/egle/0,9429,7-135-3313_72753-386945--,00.html


Finding forms or reports

Applications, reports, and other requests can be found under Apps, Requests, and Reports.  For example, if you need to create a new application, go to Apps Requests, and Reports, click Start New Form, and type keyword(s) of the type of application you want to submit. 

MiWaters Finding a Form