Skip to main content

Recyclers and Transporters of Electronic Waste

Notification requirements: 

Notify the Waste and Hazardous Materials Division when electronic equipment from residents is collected, stored, processed, or dismantled, in excess of 1,000 pounds, on-site at any one time. Submit the form EQP5205 at least two weeks prior to conducting the activity.

Memorandum: Regulation of Electronic Wastes (September 20, 2002)

For recyclers collecting electronics from anyone besides residential clients: Notify as a large quantity universal waste handler when handling 11,000 pounds or more of electronics and other universal waste collected from entities other than households and obtain a site identification number. 

Notifications may be done by mailing in the form EQP5150. There is a $50 application fee. To check if a site identification number has already been assigned to a collection site, go to the Waste Data System and select advanced search. It is recommended to search using the street number in the address field and zip code in the postal code field. If you need assistance looking up a number or filling out the application, call the Environmental Assistance Center at 800-662-9278. 

The following Michigan regulatory guidance documents contain specific information about electronic waste.  

Since "recycling" can mean different things, discuss if your recycling operations would be subject to the industrial storm water program with the Water Resources Division District Office. See the industrial storm water program information including sample Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plans (SWPPPs) and links to the storm water operator certification.

Water Resources Division Industrial Storm Water Contacts 

U.S. EPA approved CRT recycling exporters. This website contains the list of U.S EPA approved exporters of CRTs destined for recycling per the CRT rule.


Steve Noble