The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Links to Oil and Gas in Michigan
- Center for Geographic Information - GIS Open Data portal - Browse, search, preview, and download a variety of Michigan geospatial datasets. Browse by category or enter key words in the search box to locate a dataset of interest. You can then read its description to learn more and explore attributes before downloading. A variety of formats exist when downloading such as ESRI shapefile, spreadsheet, IML, or API.
- Michigan Public Service Commission - The MPSC regulates gas transmission and prices as well as other utilities. This site has information about gas and oil prices, production, gas and oil pipelines, and other useful information. The Geological Survey permits the drilling of wells and regulates the production and facilities. Once the product leaves the production facility the MPSC may take over regulation.
- Department of Natural Resources Minerals Leasing - the leasing of State lands for oil and gas exploration or other minerals is handled by the DNR. For information on State land leasing check this site.
- Michigan Oil & Gas Producers Education Foundation - your one stop shopping center for Michigan oil and gas exploration and production industry information.
- Michigan Oil and Gas Association - MOGA is an organization for the exploration, drilling, production, transportation, processing and storage of crude oil and natural gas in the State of Michigan and has nearly 1,000 members, including independent oil companies, major oil companies, and the exploration arms of various utility companies. It's a good place to find who and what in the Michigan oil and gas community.
- American Petroleum Institute - API, a national organization, is the primary trade association of oil and gas industry. API represents more than 400 members involved in all aspects of the oil and natural gas industry.
- US Environmental Protection Agency - Underground Injection Control - The Underground Injection Control (UIC) Program provides safeguards so that injection wells do not endanger current and future underground sources of drinking water
- Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission - IOGCC - Michigan is a member of this organization that represents the governors of oil and natural gas producing states. In 1935, six states endorsed and Congress ratified the Interstate Compact to Conserve Oil and Gas, resulting in the formation of the unique governmental entity now known as the Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission. The IOGCC has helped states establish effective regulation of the oil and natural gas industry through gathering and sharing information, technologies and regulatory methods.
- American Association of Petroleum Geologists - AAPG - The purposes of this Association are to advance the science of geology, especially as it relates to petroleum, natural gas, other subsurface fluids, and mineral resources; to promote the technology of exploring for, finding, and producing these materials in an economically and environmentally sound manner; to foster the spirit of scientific research throughout its membership; to disseminate information relating to the geology and the associated technology of petroleum, natural gas, other subsurface fluids, and mineral resources; to inspire and maintain a high standard of professional conduct on the part of its members; to provide the public with means to recognize adequately trained and professionally responsible geologists; and to advance the professional well-being of its members.