The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
US Ecology Wayne Disposal, Inc. Renewal Application Information
As part of this Application, WDI has proposed to modify the landfill design and conduct new operations at the landfill. The design changes include altering the liner grade to allow for an expansion in the volume of waste to be placed in the cell; adding new leachate collection and removal sumps in Master Cell-VI Subcell G4 (MC-VI G4) – G7; and altering the final cover design. The new operations include storing hazardous waste in containers and conducting treatment in the landfill. Sylwia Scott is the contact person for WDI and can be reached at 734 699 6294; or email@example.com.
EGLE is reviewing the Application to:
- Determine if the Application is sufficiently detailed to evaluate the facility and its potential for impact on human health and the environment.
- Determine if the proposed engineering modifications and operational activities comply with all state and federal governing regulations.
- Determine if the facility does not present a hazard to human health or the environment, as determined by EGLE inspections and compliance with applicable environmental regulations.
- Evaluate and consider potential impacts that the proposed expansion could have on the environment and local community.
- Provide the public opportunities to offer input on the proposed expansion.
The Application and other relevant documents are available electronically below. The public is welcome to review the documents in person at the following locations. The public may make an appointment to review the Application in person at: EGLE, MMD, Constitution Hall, 525 West Allegan Street, Lansing, Michigan 48909, by contacting Vickie Terry at 517 284-6546 or TerryV2@Michigan.gov, or EGLE, MMD, Warren District Office, 27700 Donald Court, Warren, Michigan 48092, by contacting Jennifer Block at 586-606-2344 or BlockJ4@Michigan.gov. In addition, the Application is available for review at the Belleville Area District Library located at 167 Fourth Street, Belleville, Michigan, telephone 734 699 3291.
EGLE invites public comment on the Application. Written comments may be provided to Christine Matlock throughout the review process at MatlockC2@Michigan.gov; 517-290-4612; or EGLE, MMD, Hazardous Waste Section, P.O. Box 30241, Lansing, Michigan 48909.
- November 5, 2021 – EGLE, MMD received WDI’s Application pursuant to Part 111, Hazardous Waste Management, of the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act, 1994 PA 451, as amended, and its administrative rules. An electronic copy of the Application can be found below.
- December 3, 2021 – EGLE, MMD made the determination that the Application was administratively complete. Since the Application was submitted in a timely manner and was determined to be administratively complete, this allows WDI to continue operating under their operating license that was issued on May 5, 2012.
- April 13, 2022 – EGLE, MMD issued a technical notice of deficiency to WDI after reviewing the engineering documentation related to the proposed expansion of the hazardous waste landfill and the proposed alternate final cover design.
- May 25, 2022 – EGLE, MMD received engineering revisions in response to the April 13, 2022, technical notice of deficiency.
- Attachment B.6 Engineering Modifications Comments/Responses – 5/25/2022
- WDI Application Completeness Determination – 12/3/2021
- Renewal Application Cover Letter – 11/5/2021
- Renewal Application Forms – 11/5/2021
Section X Facility Drawing
Section XI Photographs
Section XIII Description of Hazardous Waste
- Attachment A.1 General Facility Description – 11/5/2021
- Attachment A.2 Chemical and Physical Waste Analysis Plan – 10/29/2021
- Attachment A.4 Security Procedures and Equipment – 11/5/2021
- Attachment A.5 Inspection Schedule – 11/5/2021
- Attachment A.6 Preparedness and Prevention – 11/5/2021
- Attachment A.7 Contingency Plan – 11/5/2021
- Attachment A.8 Traffic Information – 11/5/2021
- Attachment A.9 Location Information – 11/5/2021
- Attachment A.10 Personnel Training – 11/5/2021
- Attachment A.11 Closure and Postclosure Plan – 11/5/2021
- Attachment A.12 Closure and Postclosure Cost Estimate – 11/5/2021
- Attachment A.13 Topographic Map – 11/5/2021
- Attachment A.14 Liability Mechanism – 11/5/2021
- Attachment A.15 Financial Assurance Assessment – 11/5/2021
- Attachment B.2 Corrective Action – 11/5/2021
Note: The RCRA Corrective Action Plan RFI Report is too large to post, please contact Christine Matlock for a copy of this file.
- Attachment B.3 Hydrogeological Report – 11/5/2021
Note: This attachment is too large to post, please contact Christine Matlock for a copy of this file.
- Attachment B.4 Environmental Assessment – 11/5/2021
- Attachment B.5 Environmental Monitoring Programs
Attachment B.5 Environmental Monitoring – 11/5/2021
Attachment B.5.A Groundwater Sampling and Analysis Plan – 11/5/2021
Attachment B.5.B Ambient Air Monitoring Program – 11/5/2021
Attachment B.5.C Soil Sampling and Analysis Plan – 11/5/2021
Attachment B.5.D Leak Detection, Collection, and Removal Systems Sampling and Analysis Plan – 11/5/2021
Attachment B.5.E Lysimeter Monitoring Sampling and Analysis Plan – 11/5/2021
Attachment B.5.F Surface Water Sampling and Analysis Plan – 11/5/2021
Attachment B.5.G Sedimentation Basin Sampling and Analysis Plan – 11/5/2021
Attachment B.5.H Leachate Monitoring Sampling and Analysis Plan – 11/5/2021
Attachment B.5.I Radiological Monitoring – 11/5/2021
- Attachment B.6 Engineering Plans Volume 1 – Record Drawings
MC VI A-D Engineering Drawings – 11/5/2021
MC VI E Engineering Drawings – 11/5/2021
MC VI G1-G3 Engineering Drawings – 11/5/2021
- Attachment B.6 Engineering Plans Volume 2 – Modification & Current Drawings
Narrative – 11/5/2021
Attachment A: Design Calculations – 11/5/2021
Attachment B: Engineered Artificial Turf Landfill Final Cover Alternate – 11/5/2021
Attachment C: Current Engineering Drawings – 11/5/2021
Revisions – Attachment A: Design Calculations Part 1 – 5/25/2022
Revisions – Attachment A: Design Calculations Part 2 – 5/25/2022
Revisions – Attachment B: Engineered Artificial Turf Landfill Final Cover Alternate – 5/25/2022
Revisions – Attachment C: Current Engineering Drawings 1-3 & 7-21 – 5/25/2022
Revisions – Attachment C: Current Engineering Drawings 4-6 – 5/25/2022
- Attachment B.7 Other Environmental Permits – 11/5/2021
- Attachments B.8 and B.10, Capability Certification & B.10 Construction Certifications – 11/5/2021
- Attachment B.9 Restrictive Covenant – 11/5/2021
- Attachment C.1 Containers – 11/5/2021
- Attachment C.4 Treatment – 10/29/2021
This attachment is confidential.
- Attachment C.7 Landfill – 11/5/2021
- Attachment C.11 Air Emissions – 11/5/2021
Stay connected by subscribing to the US Ecology Michigan Disposal Waste Treatment Plant (MDWTP) and WDI Hazardous Waste Landfill mailing list to receive updates from EGLE related to site specific activities. The US Ecology MDWTP and WDI list is for anyone wishing to receive information related to the licensed hazardous waste management activities occurring at 49350 North I-94 Service Drive, Belleville, Michigan, including updates related to web resources, new license actions, public hearings and meetings related to their hazardous waste operations. MDWTP and WDI are located at the same address and licensed separately. MDWTP is licensed to store and treat hazardous waste, while WDI is licensed to operate a hazardous waste landfill at the site. To receive notifications through the mail, please contact Vickie Terry, at TerryV2@Michigan.gov; 517 284-6546; or EGLE, MMD, Hazardous Waste Section, P.O. Box 30241, Lansing, Michigan 48909.
You are the eyes and ears of your community. Through your observations and reporting of activities of concern, you play a valuable role in helping the EGLE protect human health and the environment. To file a complaint or share details about improper waste handling or disposal, contact EGLE through the Pollution Emergency Alerting System (PEAS) Hotline at 800-292-4706.